Chapter 35: Nightly Visitor

Jessica woke up to someone placing a tender kiss on her temple. It only took her the fragment of a moment to recognise the familiar smell of Jacob's sandalwood soap and... brandy? It had been some time since he'd come to her inebriated, and she couldn't help but wonder what had made him drink again. If it's what he needed to return to her bed, so be it.

Raising her hand to cup his cheek, the slight stubble scratched her palm. "Where have you been?" she asked as he lifted a hand to cover hers and press a kiss against it.

"Avoiding reality." His lips against the inside of her hand sent tingles up her arm and through her body.

"I don't know what you mean by that."

Another kiss, this time on her wrist, did nothing to help her gather her thoughts and when he carefully pushed the nightgown off her shoulders, she didn't object. He dragged his lips slowly all the way down her arm, finally settling at the sensitive spot below her ear. Heat was already pooling between her legs when he gently bit down on her neck, and she gasped, surprised by her immediate reaction. It wasn't painful, but harder than his nibbles in the past.

"Again," she breathed.

Lifting his head, she could see him grinning down at her, but she was too intrigued to feel embarrassed. He shifted on the bed, pulling the covers off her in one fluid motion before settling himself, still fully clothed, between her legs. His lips captured hers in a searing kiss that ignited every fibre in her being. Wrapping her legs around his waist, she dug her hands into his soft hair as he finally returned to kiss and nibble at her neck. When he bit down again, he rolled his hips against her, and she moaned from the sensation as he hit the sensitive spot at the juncture of her thighs.

Spurred on by her moans and gasps, he repeated the motion several times, stoking her desire higher with every grind. She pulled on his partially buttoned shirt, wanting to touch his skin and he eventually obliged, sitting back on his haunches as he pulled the garment over his head and tossed it on the floor. Her nightgown, which had pooled around her waist, followed suit a moment later, soon joined by his breeches.

He watched her in the waning light from the fireplace, and she allowed it for a moment but soon grew restless. Wanting a reaction, she grasped her breast with one hand and teased the nipple, enjoying seeing his gaze follow her every movement. His eyes burned with a dark fire and as her nipple grew hard, he bent down and captured it between his lips.

Whatever the reason had been for his absence the last few nights, she didn't care. He was all heated caresses and molten kisses, his skin feverish underneath her fingertips. There was an urgency to him tonight that was different to their other times together. He touched her with a reverence and need she did not fully understand, but appreciated in its sincerity.

He worshipped her with his hands, mouth and body, making hers sing in response to every touch, every caress. When he finally entered her, she was so ready she nearly expired on the spot. Kissing her deeply, he grabbed her bottom and angled her hips to allow him a better angle, allowing him to reach even deeper. She gasped as the position brought her closer to the edge while he made slow, torturous love to her.

It was like climbing a tall mountain—a very pleasurable, tall mountain—and when she finally reached the top, wave after wave of pleasure swept over her until she finally came back down on the other side, tired and spent. Jacob followed a moment later, before collapsing on top of her.

Leaning his head against her shoulder, he breathed deeply, trying to catch his breath. The weight of him on top of her pressed her into the mattress, but she felt warm and safe in his arms and didn't mind. His lips moved against her neck, the stubble lightly rasping her skin.