April 2nd

Dedicated to thedeadly_rose for always being on top of new chapters and the first to vote, lots of love and I hope you enjoy.

April 2nd:

The faint classical music drones static in the background, pairs of people spin around them. The instructor, a tall woman with a slicked-back bun, stands at the front of the room. Her grating voice calls out directions to the group, Mara struggles to hold onto Talon's hands. His left hand rests on her lower back. Mara itches to pull away, keeping an ominous distance between their bodies.

She asked for a different partner, but Talon Banks isn't one to say no to. So here she was, somewhat purposefully stepping on his feet, as he spins her around the ballroom. She isn't that good of a dancer, not this style at least, but it is of her sister's requests they learn how to formally dance for her wedding.

Mara loathed being a Gray sister, more so now than ever before.

"You're really bad, love," Talon chuckles, keeping Mara from toppling over. To make it more realistic, each girl had on a dress that falls down to their ankles. Mara isn't used to the length of the fabric and nearly twists her ankle on it.

"Maybe it's my partner," Mara snaps, rolling her eyes exaggeratedly. She steps back from Talon, who laughs, holding his hands up in surrender. His green eyes shine with amusement, but Mara isn't laughing.

"Sorry, sorry," he drawls, pulling her back to him, "we will take it slow."

After a few more times around the square dance floor and a couple more near-death experiences, Mara has had plenty. As Talon excuses himself to the bathroom and the instructor lets them off for a lunch break, Mara makes her escape. Quietly, she sneaks out the large framed doors, taking the one car in the garage that nobody touches.

It is beaten up and growls when you drive it, but it works nonetheless. Nobody will go looking for this car upon realizing Mara's escape. The stuffy air felt suffocating, especially with Talon so close, his cologne attacking her nose.

She finds herself in this position a lot, her car leading her to Elias's calming house. Not on purpose, either. It is more like a magnetic pull that attracts her. She feels drawn to him, enjoying their time together so much that she finds herself seeking it out.

Mara has never gone in search of another. They almost always find her.

---

It is weird standing at the stoop outside Elias's house, her knuckles pausing against the red door. She almost always waits for him on the curb, parked in the safety of her car. The snow has melted away by now, being replaced by rainy days and blooming flowers. The sky overhead is a looming gray, thunderclaps a few miles back.

The door swings open, revealing a disordered Elias. His tousled brown hair falls in front of his dark brown eyes, obscuring them as he squints towards Mara. A pair of plaid pajama pants hangs low on his hips, a white t-shirt hugging his toned frame. It isn't that early in the morning, but here Elias stands, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Surprise! You get to spend the day with me," Mara's smile grows as she pushes herself past the door, avoiding the now falling raindrops. Elias just lets her in, stepping back as she pushes past him into the small entryway. 

Elias blinks, shaking his head as an amused smile takes over his lips. Mara never fails to surprise him, ever. He yawns, leaning forward to shut the door behind her lingering frame. His arm brushes against her shoulder, leaving goosebumps on her neck as she steps backward.