May 15th

you are the person

i'd never stop looking for 

in a crowded place

-wtm

May 15th:

She borrows her brother's convertible again. In her defense, Mateo left the keys hanging on the rack by the garage doors where anyone could take them. He is away on some company trip anyway. He won't even have to know that it's gone.

Today, Elias is driving, which he hasn't done in years. Technically, he never got his license, but his father has taken him out on many occasions. He could drive by the age of eleven. Mara declares that on these deserted backroads they will be fine, free from cops.

The sun is setting, resting for the night as Elias drives straight towards the red-orange hue. Mara sticks the top half of herself out the window, letting her featherlight self be lifted up by the wind. Her golden straw hair sticks to her face as she laughs maniacally.

"Some moments are just perfect," she breathes, yelling over the loudness of the wind. She slumps back into her seat, his hand resting on her thigh as he is afraid she is going to fall out. Taking his hand in hers, she tangles their fingers.

Elias nods, agreeing. He couldn't sign and drive at the same time, so the car ride is mostly quiet. There is only the roar of wind and the chirps of nature around them to fill the quietness.

They continue to ride down the winding road until a large billboard catches their attention. It is an advertisement to an outdoor theater, Elias looks to Mara beaming. She matches his enthusiasm, bouncing in her seat. She has bolts of energy coursing through her as she squeezes Elias's hand vigorously.

They pull up to the theater, where only a few cars litter the lot. A big white screen is a focal point, and behind it stands a cluster of disordered trees. An old man stands at the front entrance, exerting their money for tickets. Elias buys two, pulling up to a spot in the farthest corner. Away from the families with small children and old couples who are already asleep. Only a few other teens are nearby, and their attention is elsewhere.

The buttery popcorn fills their senses as they hop out of the vehicle, smoothing down their hair and rumpled clothing. Mara grabs Elias's hand, dragging him to the concession stand where deep-fried pretzels are on display. She skips, Elias beaming at her hyperactiveness.

It must be something in the air tonight, but it feels more buoyant. The smog has been elevated, at least for the night, letting them enjoy the moment in its simplicity.

"Are we thinking about having a heart attack or living until we're at least 80?" Mara puzzles, looking at him with wide scintillating eyes. They are behind a group of young girls who can't be older than fourteen. One of them stares at the boy around their age behind the counter, blushing, while the other can't seem to make up her mind.

'Heart attack seems like the only right answer,' Elias agrees, laughing along with Mara. He drapes his tanned arm over her shoulder, teasingly pulling her into his chest. His free hand pokes her side, causing her to jump away from him with a glare.

"I've outlived death three times before," she states, "food is not going to be what kills me."

'Nah, your mouth is going to catch up to you eventually,' Elias teases, stepping up to their turn. The one girl ended up with cotton candy and a darker blush as the boy smiles back at her.