May 3rd

TW: Mentions of Suicidal Thoughts and Scars - this makes it sound a lot worse than it is.

"The freedom of the soul-bird death cannot take away"

- Sri Chinmoy

May 3rd:

Mother nature decided to pick a heatwave to start off May. Thankfully, she graciously chose senior skip day, the blazing sun attacking the student's exposed surface as they head towards the beach. Elias wears jeans and a plain Pink Floyd t-shirt. The most amount of skin he is comfortable showing, only because of the brazing heat.

The breeze whips through her honey hair falling down her shoulders. Mara steers her brother Mateo's hijacked baby blue convertible towards the only beach in town. Their enchanted laughter is met by the melody blaring through the speakers that vibrates the bass. Sunglasses shielding both their grinning eyes from view.

It is Friday, and while the grades lower fill the high school, the seniors are nesting out at the beach. It is a ritual, in their town at least, that seniors skip the first Friday in May and spend it at the only beach in there small town.

They are just graced with the warmest of weather, the sun proudly situated high in the sky, surrounded by white clouds. It is an overbearing heat, where sweat trickles down their temples and coates the nape of their necks.

They continue to drive, the wind curling against their faces. It is such a strong force. As the car slowly pulls into an empty spot, it feels like a spider web is attached to their skin. It tingles, the warm sun beating on Mara's exposed shoulders and back.

Mara pushes her framed sunglasses up to the crown of her head. Elias now lingers in the space next to her, her fingertips lightly brushing against his. They overlook the beach trickled with kids he has known since elementary school. Everyone looks so peaceful, carefree as they relaxed into its warmth.

"Common weirdo, let's go be normal for a day," she laughs, intertwining her fingers with his. A tingling sensation shoots through her fingertips at the touch, her eyes focusing on Elias's side profile.

He is looking out towards the beach. Mara followed his line of sight to notice him staring in the direction of a girl with lilac hair. The small smile playing on his lips makes her stomach twist. A zealous sensation tugs her heartstrings. She craves for him to look at her, not the girl with lilac hair and doe-shaped eyes.

"Hello," she pokes his side a few times, digging her nails into the fabric of his shirt. Relief washes over her as his eyes dart to her, a shade more luminous underneath the sunlight. He notes the change in her stance, from defensive to relief.

'Jealous?' He signs with a wicked smirk, neglecting to tell her he was only looking at the water. More importantly, the kids who splashed around in it, how they could so easily trust that nobody will drown them in the crashing waves.

Elias feels like he is drowning a lot, in his own mind, most of the time. It will start in his chest and build towards his throat until the world goes black. He'll sometimes wish the water would suffocate him outright. It is better than the numbness that overtakes him as he resurfaces.

"Not jealous, possessive." Mara shrugs, uncaring of her bold nature, walking away from Elias. His smile grows as he chuckles, following her obediently. 

The girl with lilac hair meets his eyes at the sound of his happiness. A faint smile playing on her thin lips as he waves hello in her direction. She has swarthy skin. That is the first thing Mara notes when she looks back. She is beautiful, too, with a rounded face. She is a transfer student from India, brutally kind to anyone who takes the time to talk to her.