December 1st

dedicated to queenofmars101

your future needs you

your past doesn't

m.r

December 1st:

The morning radiance glitters through the window, like blue diamonds on her golden skin. She is still asleep, snoring softly, while Elias admires her charm. The way her pink lips part, blowing out a puff of warm air onto her fingers. Her hair draped over her exposed shoulders, Elias traces his fingers through her soft strands of curls, mixed in with wavy tresses. Even lighter in the presence of the California sun.

Outside, the restful rain became a song against her windowpane. A steady pulse of its teardrops, falling down the glass, staining it with its raindrops. The earthen petrichor, filling the quarters of Mara's small room, her window opens, revealing the bustling city below.

The birds outdoors chirp as if two are tossed into a fairytale. Elias can hear the easy conversation of Ryn and Cairo in the kitchen. The sizzle of scrambled eggs in a pan. He doesn't want to move, though, wrapping his arms tighter around the stirring Mara. Pulling her into his bare chest, she twists towards him, a smile painted on her lips while her eyelids flutter open. Her eyes, ocean blue and curious, staring at him with so much love that he can't help the leap of his pulse.

"Good Morning, girlfriend," he kisses her lazily, pulling the blankets higher upon them, covering all but their heads. As if obscuring them from everything else, buried beneath their own little tent of the downy sheath. Like clouds on their skin, light as the birds who singsong outside.

"No," Mara snorts, pulling away from Elias, who scowls at the missed contact, "we will not be those people."

"We are those people, baby," Elias chuckles, tracing the dips of her torso. Goosebumps prick her skin where his rough hands leave their mark, like frost beneath her skin. He is resting all his weight on one arm, his eyes following where his hands disappeared beneath the blankets. The most innocent of things he will get lost in. The architecture of such a cherished body being one, his treasure.

"Not yet. We're a step away from it. I'm trying to hold onto my dignity here, just a little bit," Mara sighs. "So just please me."

"Okay," he hums, kissing down the curve of her neck, peppered caresses that are just a brush of his lips. If anything, they are more passionate, more ardent, leaving her panting as she pulls him away from her, trying to catch her breath.

Elias smells like Mara, her soap in his hair, her scent on his skin.

Her taste on his lips.

"Well, I was gonna invite you home to come to meet my parents," he drawls, dramatically throwing his almond eyes towards the ceiling. Mara laughs, somewhat placed beneath him, so his chest rests on her side, pinning her down.

Elias has grown more relaxed in her presence over the past year. But their friendship has been based on dishonesty. Both of them hiding important pieces of themselves, only knowing a small fraction of who each other are as characters, they were bound to crumble eventually. It's why they promise no secrets this time, the foundation of their antiquity being mounted upon the absolute truth.

"I already know your parents, Elias," Mara giggles, flicking his forehead. It is true that Mara spent more time at his house than her own over the summer. Growing quite comfortable with Ella, she was the daughter Ella never had. And even his father had taken a fondness to Mara and her bluntness.