April 23rd

To the world you may be one person,

but to one person

you may be the world.

- Dr. Seuss

April 23rd:

To say Mara is enraged finding out it is Elias's birthday would be an understatement. 

She disappeared, leaving him alone in the library with his mouth agape, hit by the air of the door slamming shut with force. She vanished into the evening, leaving Elias alone to put away the books on his cart. Shaking his head, he blinks a few times in an attempt to make sense of it.

What he did not expect was to be kidnapped. The blindfold is tight around his eyes as all he sees is black. The only reason he is not freaking out is the sweet smell of pinewood that attacks his nose. Instead, a smile etches on his lips, leaning back against the seat she strapped him into.

The car suddenly stops at a red light, lurching Elias forward, who is not expecting the impact. He groans at the pain that stings his arm, holding onto his sleeve that slammed into the dashboard. Mara sniggers, turning the car sharply to the left.

"You deserved that, idiot. How could you not tell me you turn eighteen today? I mean, that's so big." She lectures, her voice filled with both anger and amusement. She jerks him hard into the door, smirking at his moans of pain.

The air is tender tonight, the sun setting behind the building Mara now leads Elias into. She holds onto his warm, shaking hands as he interlocks his fingers with hers, calming his nerves.

He is trying. He isn't scared of her, necessarily, but the fear always lingers in the back of his mind. Especially when being led blindfolded into a building, he is using Mara's touch for comfort. She doesn't mind it either, her smile broadening.

The air is warm tonight, but whatever building she led him into in is bitter cold. He wears a thin long-sleeved shirt, a shiver coursing through his body at the frigid air. He reaches towards the blindfold, and Mara doesn't stop him as his fingers wrap around the fabric. Pulling it down to his neck, his brown eyes calculate the scene unfolding before him, darting over the expanse of the expansive warehouse.

People in ice skates glided over the patch ice in the middle of the large room, encased by walls of glass. The ceilings are high, with fans running fast to keep the air cold enough for the indoor ice rink, circulating the chill. Families gather around the concessions stands, while teens gather around the edges of the rink. Each cluster of people talking animatedly.

"Surprise weirdo!" Mara beams, her eyes glazing with wonder and a sprinkle of smugness sparking in the corners. She had recalled their conversation weeks ago when Elias had mentioned he'd never been ice skating before.

Elias smiles, but he isn't looking at the ice. Rather, his eyes are trained on Mara, who is jittery with excitement. Her blonde hair is pulled up into a messy bun, her backpack hung low on her shoulders. She looks from the chaos of the crowd to him, meeting his gaze with a soft smile that curls her pink lips upwards.

'Thank you,' he signs, 'was kidnaping me necessary though?' He pokes her side, making her jump away from him with rapturous giggles.

"Necessary is boring, and I will never be boring." She shakes her head, a tendril of blonde hair falling down her face with the action. Without thinking, Elias pushes it behind her ear, his rough fingertips brushing over her cheeks.