June 3rd

Okay so I don't know how I feel about this chapter but the ending is good so... Also, Elias has a flashback but it isn't anything bad, just light warning for that.

June 3rd:

His gaze is fastened on her, he can't bring himself to look away. At a wedding, the bride is supposed to be the one you look at, but Elias can only reason that Mara outshines her. The dress is the same one he'd come to try on with her, but it is as if the golden beam of light reflects off of her soft skin in a way it doesn't others.

Mara is radiating and Elias is basking in her beauty. He watches her, shifting in his suit that scratches the skin of his neck. Her eyes, framed with a soft swoop of mascara, scan the crowd.

When she locates Elias watching her, Mara's smile grows. She winks at him, hiding her grin behind her bright bouquet of lilies as looks back towards Darla. They are saying their vows, but Gabriel's language just sounds like static to her ears.

She feels light, like a bird, she can fly above them all. She's been in a good mood. Her family only looks at her strangely, but Mara is so happy she can care less. It is like a state of constant euphoria, she felt jitters just below her fingertips. She wanted to dance, to sing, to party.

She is so lost in it all that she doesn't realize she's been pushed to the dance floor hours later. The party is in full swing as people let their guards down for the night and just enjoyed themselves. They are all singing at the top of their lungs, letting the music overcome them. Their voices mix together into a loud chatter as people's eyes sparkled under the flashing beams of the disco that spins above their heads.

"Care to dance?" Talon asks as the song turns slow, sensual. It's a low hum through the dance floor as older couples emerge into the younger crowd. Mara sighs, placing her hands on his shoulders as they practiced, careful not to make a scene.

"Where's your Elias?" He taunts, looking over her shoulders. He can't see Elias, who disappeared into the bathrooms minutes before. He is just having a hard time breathing in this crowd, but Mara looked so happy that Elias didn't want to disturb her. He uses Dr. Alice's breathing strategies, trying to regain his composure.

"God, I was drunk," she snorts, shaking her head in wonderment. "He's in the bathroom, I think."

"He doesn't talk much," Talon provokes. Mara's temper, growing wary. She doesn't like people talking bad about Elias. Especially when that person is Talon. He has no right.

"Yeah, well, it's a nice change from you. Besides, you don't have to speak with your mouth to talk. Sign language does exist," Mara shakes her head unamused, her blonde hair pinned up in a bun. She steps on his feet, purposefully, as he hisses.

"Sore topic, got it," he nods, scratching his braid.

"Curse, do these things itch," he sighs, stopping their dancing.

"Why'd you get them anyway?" She laughs, her mood lightening. She nibbles her lip, concealing her smile at his distress. She tolerates Talon enough, but she can never see herself with him.

"My mom," he chuckles, "she-"

Talon is interrupted by Elias, who taps Mara's exposed shoulders. She spins around on her heels, already smiling with the warm comfort of his cinnamon and mint scent. He matches her smile with his own, placing his hands on her lower back. He spins her away from Talon, who watches, shaking his head as he walks away.

He has to admit she looks happy, and even though he has the tiniest of crushes on her, all he wants is for her to smile. Mara has it rough, and he relates, thrown behind the image of his successful older brother Gabriel. They are both the casted away children of their families.