July 3rd

"Broken crayons still color."

-anonymous

July 3rd:

Mara wakes up hours before Elias does, giving her a chance to watch him sleep. His lips part open a slit as he snores gently, his face turned towards hers. He looks peaceful, all the stress wiped away from his features, utterly relaxed. His eyebrows aren't furrowed, his lips in an even line. His chest rises and falls at a steady pace, his eyes flickering beneath his eyelids.

Mara brings her fingertips to his face, almost grazing his skin. Tracing the outline of the bone structure of his face. She grins, the sun beating upon his golden, bronzed skin. She could watch him sleep for hours, she realizes, she already has. He looks entirely at repose, lying here next to her, his hand resting lightly on her hip bone.

Elias's eyes are still sealed when his arms shoots out towards her waist, pulling her into his warm chest. Mara bites back a gasp, oblivious that he was awake the entire time. A smile pulls itself onto his lips as Mara watches his eyes slowly open. His pupils dilate to the bright light streaming through the window, his hair messily slumped against his forehead.

"Weren't you the one who says staring is creepy," his voice is thick, gravely with morning tiredness. His eyes barely open as they adjust to the light, the smile indolently painted on his lips.

"Beautiful things catch my attention," she teases, curling into his heating embrace. Her hands find his silver chain, pulling him closer to her harshly. A deep laugh escapes him, throaty around the edges, as he hovers above her now. She is only in a thin tank top and a pair of his boxers, using his warmth as her own.

His locked arms are on either side of her head, the bottom half of him resting between her legs. He lowers himself close enough so that their noses graze, a teasing smile pulling on his lips at the obvious need in her eyes. She leans up into him, pressing them closer together.

He darts his lips down, but instead of kissing her lips, he finds the sensitive place behind her ear. Sucking and nipping at the skin softly, sensually, he moves downwards to her throat. Peppering kisses along her soft porcelain skin, she arches her chest into his, her eyelids fluttering closed. Her breathing has grown heavy and broken, her hands finding his. She intertwines their twitching fingers on either side of her head, locking her in place.

He moves upwards the skin of her neck, placing butterfly kisses against her jaw. His mouth travels to her lips, but instead of outright kissing her, he plants two delicate kisses at the edges of her full flips. Pulling back with a satisfied smile, her eyes burst open at the new coldness. She glares as he moves off of her, falling down next to her.

"Good Morning," he whispers, his voice even more gravely than before. Mara's glare worsens as he laughs at her, his fingers brushing over her cheeks.

"What's wrong baby?" He smirks, his fingers continuing to brush against her skin. A shiver shoots down her spine as his touch is barely grazing. He is teasing her, getting a reaction out of her body, and it is working. The air around them is thick with the haze of morning lust, her chest heaving against his.

"Kiss me," she pants airly as his fingers trail the length of her spine. Elias has grown a lot more comfortable showing affection with Mara as long as he is mostly in control. The nightmares have also calmed down, spending more time with Dr. Alice, he is starting to feel a lot better.

Mara plays a big part in his recovery, though, half of him wanting to get more suited for her. That's why he feels so strongly connected to her, feeling as though she is a big part of the reason he is alive. He won't admit it, not even to himself, that the night she came bursting into his life, he was in a very hopeless state of mind. Everything in his world had felt like it was crumbling, and Mara became the glue holding it together. She showed him that someone in his life could pretend, even for a minute, that he was somewhat normal. She treated him like a human, and he respected that, loved it even.