May 7th

Dedicated to ziiya21 ❤

and till the end you're my very best friend

-anonymous

May 7th:

Mara gazes at her crystal clear reflection in the mirror. The girl peering back at her has the same brushed out honey hair, inching towards her shoulder blades. She has the same piercing blue eyes and the same trademark smirk. Her cheekbones are a little more sunken in, but otherwise, her face structure is identical to Mara's. 

But she doesn't see herself looking back at her.

She sees the person who she wished to be at a young age. The same person she will now stare at in distaste. Mara's awkward, lanky structure is covered in a rose gold silk fabric. It is tight-fitting dress, enough so that you can make out the dips in her figure.

She hates herself for liking the way the girl in the mirror looks fitted to the fabric. Her hands, smoothing down the material as she twists to see her back in the mirror. Spinning once, just for the fun of it, she tries to rid herself of her smile.

The heels, tightly strapped around her ankles, add to her already tall height. She hates herself more than anything for expertly walking in them. Her long legs, tanned from sitting in the sun, on display with the small slit on the right side of the floor-length dress.

In a sudden mood change, she drops the hatred act. It won't get her anywhere, and she does like the way she looked in this dress. Mara feels overly bold strutting up to Elias, euphoric even, as she makes her curves noticeable. She knows she looks good, so she embraces it.

"Thoughts?" She walks as if the pathway to him is a runway. She did some modeling in her youth, so she has a basic idea of what she is doing. Posing with her hands on her hips, she smirks as Elias's sparkling eyes rake over her.

She feels hot everywhere, sparks kindling in her veins. An exciting sort of heat that fuels the tension building in the pit of her stomach.

"Well, what do you think? On a scale of Victoria Secret to Charlie's Angels." She glances over at herself in the body-length mirror, snatching a display necklace from the stand close to it. Placing the array of pearls against her creamy skin, they hang just below her protruding collarbone.

"Well, come on," she laughs, poking Elias out of his daze.

'Speechless,' he signs, shaking his head. A small smile plays on his lips at her arrogance, the way she stares a little harder at herself in the mirror. She is so comfortable in her own skin. Effortlessly beautiful as he'd described her the first time they met.

"Well, duh, you can't talk. But what do you think about the dress?" She snickers at Elias's teasing frown. He pokes her in the side, shaking his head.

'You look beautiful, Mara,' he grins. 

She bobs her head as if she is agreeing with him. Mara realizes that although her arms are too long for her body, and her bones stick out at weird angles, she is pretty. Everyone is, in their own unique way, so she embraces her intrinsic beauty.

"Great, it fits. We can leave." She huffs, wandering back to the perfume-smelling fitting room. She stares at herself a minute longer in the mirror, taking in this version of herself before she disappears behind altered clothing. Back into ripped jeans, band t-shirts.

As she hangs the dress up on the wall for the store woman to come and get it, she realizes the ivory pearls are still draped around her neck. Making sure the stall is locked, she waits. Trying hear the sound of any heels clicking against the tiled flooring, she hears none.