June 30th

Save yourself

little girl,

stop waiting for someone to come and rescue you.

You are on your own.

- Josephin August

June 30th:

She is sprawled over the length of the couch, her eyes open only as sliver. The TV plays in the background, the morning news or something, it sounds like ringing in her ears. She is smiling lazily, her lips parted open as the room around her spins. She feels like she is on a Ferris wheel, blinded by a bright light that flickers on and off.

Her whole body feels heavy as the smell of street vendors' food drifts through the open window, making her stomach churn. Suddenly she is being lifted, like a feather, they cradle her like a baby. The fragrance of their clothing is familiar, but she can't wrap her mind around who it is. They are carrying her outside, the sound of birds chirping growing louder in her ears.

She just lets them take her wherever they are going. She feels leather against her fingertips and her back, a seatbelt being strapped across her chest. The smell of lilacs is more powerful now, so close she reaches out for it, grabbing onto the air. She frowns, her eyelids heavy as she struggles to keep her head upright.

The breeze streams through the open window, leaving her skin tingling and chill. She tilts her chin towards it, letting the sun beat upon her face. She imagines herself a bird, looking over the specks of the world below. She can feel all of it, her senses heightened.

The car continues to drive forward, gliding fast down a hill. She feels like she is falling, so close to the ground, and then she's caught. There Elias is, his brown eyes gleaming in the sunlight. He holds her inches above the vibrant grass, cradling her neck into his chest. She breathes in his familiar scent, clutching onto him tight, afraid he may go.

And then he's gone, and she's sprinting forwards, pushing through a vacant field of straw grass. Rose thorns prick her arms as she searches for him, bleeding out as she yells his name into the wind, pleading for him to come back. She is alone, the sky turning dark gray as booming clouds loom overhead.

Her head hits something soft, a pillow maybe. She is engulfed into warmth, soft blankets that smell like lilacs draped over her shuddering shoulders. She sighs into it, a smile on her lips as she mumbles three jumbled words under her breath.

And then there is water, and she's drowning in it. Her lungs are filling up as she struggles to take the outstretched hands reach for her. Everything hurts as her yells get caught in her lungs, suffocating on air bubbles. She is fighting the current and losing, falling deeper until she disappeared into the blackness. Consumed by the salty ocean of tears.

Her head is pounding as she fights to open her eyes, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. She is enclosed by light pink walls, the colors so familiar to that of her bedroom. She is in her bed, her ivory sheets strewn across the floor.

Wincing at her reflection across the room, she smooths down her matted hair. Purplish bruises form below her bloodshot eyes, her lips slightly dry and cracking. She looked shameful.

Cradling her head in her hands, she moans, her eyes darting towards the corner of her room. She's surprised to find her brother Mateo hunched over her desk. His phone is pressed tightly against his ear as he talks animatedly in a hushed tone. His shoulders are tense as she stares at his back, utterly confused why he is here.