86

Eliana's POV:

Someone shook me and Lydia's voice said, "Ella, we're here."

Malia shook Scott and he mumbled, "Where are we?"

"According to the GPS, this is it," Malia replied.

The four of us stepped out of the car. I immediately noticed old cars and rickety houses.

"This is it," Lydia said. "Canaan's a ghost town."

I smirked. "Finally."

Scott looked at me. "You worry me sometimes. I don't hear a single heartbeat."

Malia faced us. "I'm not catching any scents."

I shook my head. "I'm not either. Why would Stiles send us here?"

A streetlight shined and burned out immediately. We walked through the town and Lydia stopped in the middle, staring at a faded banner. "This is the place I saw in the mirror."

Scott and Malia walked over to a picnic table.

I turned to see Evan's body in the street, then saw an angry Lucille yelling at me.

"Don't hurt me!" I begged.

Someone placed a hand on my shoulder and I screamed.

"It's just me, Ella," Lydia said softly. "Did you see her again?"

I nodded and she hugged me. "Lucille is gone forever, Ella. You don't have to worry about her ever again."

I sniffled and nodded. "Bet she's rolling in her fucking grave that she can still affect me like this."

"You're strong. You'll get through this." She turned to the others. "We shouldn't be here."

Scott shook his head. "We can't leave. Not until we figure out why Stiles sent us here."

Lydia frowned. "Who are we going to ask? There's no one here."

Malia pointed to a young boy across the street with his back to us. "We can talk to him."

"Hey," Scott called as the boy ran off.

"What do we do?" Lydia asked.

"Follow him!" I yelled, running after the boy.

We ran further down the street and stopped in front of a house. The curtain moved slightly and Scott walked up to the door and opened it slowly.

We walked inside and asked, "Hello? Anybody here?"

The room was brown and the furniture had been nicely laid out, but was dusty like no one had sat there for years.

A woman's voice caught our attention. "Visitors? I can't believe we have visitors. Oh, Caleb will be so happy to see you. It's been such a long time since he's had anyone to play with. Oh, you must be thirsty. Come on in and have a seat while I get you something to drink." She walked off, giving them a wide smile.

Malia frowned. "Seriously? What is with her?"

Lydia let out a sigh. "She's the woman I saw in the mirror."

The woman reappeared moments later. "This was my grandmother's recipe. At least, as much as I can remember. We always served this when we had friends to visit."

Lydia shook her head. "We didn't come to visit. We're looking for someone."

"A friend of ours," Scott said. "Maybe you've seen him. His name is Stiles?"

The woman frowned in thought. "It's been awhile since anyone came through Canaan."

"How long?" I wondered.