Chapter 64

I returned home just as nightfall was starting to smudge the sky. I was hurrying, as I'd promised mum I'd be home before dark. I turned into our court, and ran up the street. Just before I got to our driveway, a figure stepped out before me. It was a girl wearing a black miniskirt and Ugg boots, and a black hoodie pulled over her head.

'Ivy,' she said, in that raspy voice of hers.

'Alicia?'

She pulled her hood back and took a black facemask off. Her lips were painted red, and in the newly lit streetlamps I could see her eyes were heavily underlined in a Kohl pencil, with wing tips at the edges.

'How'd you know where I lived?' I asked.

'It was easy,' she said. 'I have my ways. Look, I know you saw Asten again. It's against the law. You're not one of the four reasons that he's allowed to leave home. You're not his partner. I'm his intimate partner. I've made a statement to the police. I've given them your details. They said they'll be keeping an eye on you.'

My heart sank. This was a whole new level of crazy that I hadn't expected. I didn't even want to be involved.

'They've got better things to do with their time,' I said. 'They won't be bothering with me.'

'No they haven't,' she said. 'The crime rate has plummeted with everyone being forced to stay home. It's a priority that everyone follows the rules. You need to follow the rules. Where have you been just now?'

I shifted my backpack on my shoulder, not answering. I didn't need to answer to her.

'He's not leaving me for you,' Alicia said.

'Asten can do whatever he wants.'

'It's kind of funny,' she said, smiling, big and semi-deranged. 'This virus is my protection,' she continued. 'He can't go anywhere. With the mask, his handsome face is hidden from other girls. He can't kiss anyone. He'd be too scared to catch COVID. He can't travel. He can't even work. He can only go between his place and mine. He's mine until the virus is over. And it may never be over ...'

I knew the clock was ticking. Mum would be mad. Yesterday she'd finally given me freedom, and if I blew it on the first day, the new liberties would be taken away from me. I had to end this conversation quickly.

'Asten and I are good friends. That's it. He needs a friend at the moment. But as his friend, I should tell you, you're ruining him. He's scared and trapped. He doesn't know what to do. He's confused and sad. You're not good for him.' My backpack was heavy and that ticking timeclock was weighing on me so heavily, I didn't have time to consider my words carefully. I stepped towards her. 'If I were you, I'd want someone to be with me because they want to be with me. Not because they're too scared to leave.'

'You're a bitch,' she said.

'Don't come here again or I'll take out a restraining order.'

I swept past her, running up my driveway, entering the door quickly and locking it behind me.

'Ivy, is that you?' mum called out from the kitchen.

'Yeah, it's me.'

'Good,' she said. 'How'd it go?'

'Great,' I said, dropping my bag in the hallway. I walked into the kitchen, trying to stand down that hammering feeling in my chest. Mum was peeling a potato at the kitchen bench. I took a breath, 'How was your afternoon?' I asked, checking to see if she'd been crying.

'It was okay. I spoke to your dad. I told him about yesterday.'

'You did?'

'He thinks I've lost the plot. But he's not angry.'

'I love you, mum,' I said, putting my arms around her.

'I love you too.' It was so good to see mum looking optimistic again.

Josh walked in. 'What's this stupid love fest going on?' he asked, helping himself to a bottle of orange juice from the fridge. 'I wish dad would come home soon and even up the testosterone around here.'

I breathed out. Alicia had rattled me, but at least I had this. Family. My safe cocoon. My antidote to everything out there.