Chapter 26

I was shit-scared about mum and dad finding out, but I made up my mind to go to the Abandoned Spaces opening. The city was re-opening. People could have five people over to their house again. I didn't know how many people were going to be at the opening. I rationalised that I was back at school amongst large numbers of people – what was the difference between going to school and going to an exhibition opening? Hardly anything, in terms of numbers. Some of the government rules felt random. How'd they come up with the number five anyway? And how come we could be back at school with so many people? Teachers were being exposed to hundreds of kids every day.

This is what I had in my mind, as I bravely texted Pigmentation to pick me up and asked if she wouldn't mind coming at 11pm. That night, I told mum and dad I had an absolutely shocking migraine at 9pm – that it was full on being back at school with the pressure of catching up on all my work – and that I needed an early night and no interruptions. Mum looked at me with her most pitying face, and said 'of course, darling, we totally understand. Make sure you take a Panadol Rapid or two.'

Just before 11pm, I snuck out the laundry window and waited for Pigmentation at the roundabout down the road. She picked me up in an old green Fiat, saying 'I'm so pleased you messaged. You absolutely had to be at the opening.' I talked about being back at school. She was excited because she was having a conversation with a gallery about a solo exhibition and she was feeling optimistic about the arts picking up again. 'You know what I've missed most of all?' she said, 'Going to a gig, or a talk, or the theatre. Sure it's all been moved to online, but watching stuff online lacked atmosphere. The whole reason you go to see live music is for the atmosphere. That's what I'm yearning for, atmosphere.'

When we arrived at the old tram site, we found atmosphere. Someone had cleared a pathway and placed red paper lanterns on either side up to the building. In the main space, there was a steam punk band with two gutsy female singers dressed in revealing halter neck dresses and killer two-tone heels. There were spotlights on the artworks and it was just like Asten said it would be; magical and otherworldly.

Someone offered me a glass of wine, but I didn't feel like one. Pigmentation took me by the hand, 'Come on,' she said. 'Let's see how our works look in the moonlight.'

We walked through to the back of the building and to my surprise the bathroom was full of people looking at my work. I could hardly even enter the space. Someone had hooked up three spotlights so my work was illuminated and the yellow paint almost looked like it was glowing. I heard someone say, 'I think it's a Rahjah.' 'Nah, I've heard it's some school kid.' 'Get out, it can't be.'

Pigmentation whispered in my ear, 'It's a hit. Breathe it in.' And I did. I stook there for a few minutes, an effervescent taste of success fizzing like sherbet on my tongue.

Pigmentation's work had just as many admirers. A lady appeared out of the shadows and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 'This is Veronica, my girlfriend,' Pigmentation said, introducing us. Her girlfriend was younger, in her late twenties maybe, with shoulder-length hair and large round black-rimmed glasses. 'You must be Ivy,' she said. 'Pigmentation is quite taken with you.' I could feel myself blushing, it was hard to imagine I could ever make an impression on someone like Pigmentation.

Someone grabbed my hand. I turned and it was Asten. 'Hey stranger,' he said. 'I'd hoped you'd be here.' He wasn't wearing a cap tonight, instead his hair had been styled with product. His eyes were a golden handshake and his smile confused the algorithmic results of my withdrawal.

'Sorry, I ...' my words trailed off, because I couldn't bear to try to explain myself.

'I'm glad you're here and I'm so happy you painted your three-walled piece. It's got presence.'