Chapter 31

I knew I couldn't text Asten as there was every chance Alicia would see the message. Instead, I went to his studio. I ducked under the roller doors. Rex Orange County was playing on the stereo.

'What's up?' a guy called out to me. He was working at a big steel table. He looked familiar, Asten had introduced me to him before. But I couldn't remember his name.

I walked over to him. He was paining a skate deck. 'I'm here to see Asten,' I said.

'Oh yeah, I thought you looked familiar,' he said.

'Ivy,' I said.

'ET,' he said. 'He's not around. I never know when he's going to be in or out unfortunately. You should call him.'

'Oh yeah,' I said. 'But it's kind of tricky.' I paused. 'Can you give him a message for me?'

'I can give you his number if you've lost it.'

I looked around the studio, feeling strained by awkwardness. 'I have his number,' I confessed. 'But ... you see ... do you know Alicia? His girlfriend?'

'Oh yeah, she's off the rails. He's been trying to leave her for years.'

'Well, yeah ... she came and had words with me. This is really awkward,' I confessed.

'Oh right,' he said. 'So she threatened you?'

'Well ... not really ... kind of ... It's just I met her and now I understand. Can you tell him that? And can you get him to phone me? But he needs to be careful. He's under surveillance. She's watching what he does. But I need to talk to him somehow.'

'Totally. I get it. I'll tell him.'

'Thanks,' I said, finally smiling.

'Hey, don't let it bother you,' ET said. 'Asten's a sound guy. But she's baggage that's hard to get rid of.'

'Yeah, I'm beginning to appreciate that,' I said. 'Thanks.' I ducked back under the roller door, grateful that ET had confirmed exactly what I suspected.