Chapter 24

That night, Josh and dad stayed on for more games of tennis with Peter and Jan and mum came home with me for dinner. It was weird just the two of us eating dinner together at the table, when it'd been the four of us all through the quarantine.

'Things are finally opening up,' mum said. 'It'll be a new normal now.'

The Premier of Victoria Daniel Andrews had announced that senior students would be going back to school on 26 May. All of a sudden, I only had two weeks of remote learning and the time at home became precious.

Mum told me she once wanted to study interior design. Her father thought it was a ridiculous occupation. He didn't understand why anyone would pay someone to help decorate their home. 'So what if you know how to put two colours together?' he'd said. 'Anyone can do that.' He'd encouraged nursing instead, a good, solid profession. She said her heart had never been in it, so when my father came along as a physiotherapist training in the hospital, she'd made her escape into full time motherhood swiftly and permanently.

'My parents were a strange couple,' mum said. 'I could never work out who wore the pants. Growing up, I thought it was my father, but by the time he died, it was definitely my mum.'