Chapter 3

Chapter 3 is dedicated to ExceptionallyEnny

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

I was awoken by the dancing rays of light that filtered through the glass window. I groaned as I turned over and yawned, opening my eyes. I scanned the empty room. I had fallen asleep beside Kevin last night, but there was no sign of him now. Beside the bed was the suitcase I had brought with me. It had been left in the room I shared with Ashton.

I frowned, trying to remember if it had always there last night. It wasn't, so that meant that Kevin had gotten it for me this morning. I pulled it open and took out a fresh set of clothes and toiletries and went into the bathroom. I needed a warm, relaxing shower. My belly grumbled lowly, reminding me that I hadn't eaten dinner yesterday.

I shampooed my hair as my mind whirred with dozens of thoughts. Ashton and I had kind of broken up. I winced as I rubbed my hair with a little too much force, hurting my wrist in the process. Maybe I should think about something more positive. Like the fact that Melissa would be back soon. Her university tour would be finished today and she and Trey would be boarding a flight back.

It made me sad to think that this would be the last time she would be here until she left again. I sighed and stepped out of the bath, wrapping my towel around me. I dried my hair absent-mindedly and got dressed at a snail's pace.

Maybe Ashton would come back to his senses today... I shook my head. Now was not the time to worry about that. Jackson had switched sides and left his kingdom. I didn't know much about the rules, but I did know that nobles couldn't leave the kingdom permanently without permission from their king, which Jackson obviously didn't get.

It felt weird knowing that out of everyone, it was Jackson who ended up breaking the rules. He always worked hard for the kingdom and followed the rules to the T. If part of the reason why he left was because of me, then I had to do whatever I could to make sure he came back.

Walking downstairs was the hardest part. As soon as I stepped through the doors, I realized that the noisiness that usually greeted me was non-existent.

I wandered into the dining area. Bianca was sipping tea and looking nauseated while Beau watched her worriedly as he drank his own. Jun was frowning at the floor from where he sat beside Kristof, and Diana was lost in her own world of thought.

"Morning, Liz," Kevin greeted as I entered the room.

Everyone's heads snapped up to face me and I nervously fixed my hair behind my ear and walked over to where they were. Raúl came in a second after me.

"Good morning," I chirped, trying to lift the heavy atmosphere that was crushing everybody.

Bianca nodded, too overcome with morning sickness to speak. Everyone else answered in sullen voices. I looked around, half expecting Jackson to come in as he usually did, typing on his laptop and getting ready to scold Jun and Raúl about something.

Breakfast was soon prepared and everyone ate in silence. Ashton was nowhere to be seen. I flashed Kevin a curious look, but he only shrugged and pointed upstairs. I turned to Jun who was sitting on my left.

"Hey, how are you feeling with...?" I trailed off and motioned to his arm that had the tattoo. He shrugged.

"The fever's been getting better. Yesterday, Ashton said he had a plan. You don't have to look so worried," he added hurriedly.

I gave him a small smile. I couldn't help but worry about him. We ate in silence until Kevin and Beau exchanged a few meaningful glances and Kevin got up and headed upstairs. Within a few minutes he returned with Ashton, who looked fatigued.