Chapter 39

Chapter 39 is dedicated to Dusky-Girl and FyneHummer and thamina274

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

Night took longer to come than I expected. After visiting Bianca, I'd spent the afternoon watching the hours tick by so unbelievably slow. Ashton was tight lipped about our surprise trip and my curiosity was unbridled. When the moon finally rose against the starry black sky, I excitedly got into Ashton's car and he drove off.

"Now will you tell me where you're taking me?"

"Be patient."

"Not even a hint?"

"Nope."

"You're no fun."

He laughed at that. "It's more fun this way, trust me."

I sighed and allowed myself to enjoy the ride. It was nice being alone with him again after the crazy few weeks we'd had. We filled each other in about the time we'd spent apart. I laughed at his stories of Jaxon who was still trying to apologize for what had happened at the Cilan kingdom.

At some point of the journey I fell asleep. I only woke up to a soft kiss from Ashton.

"We're here."

I took in our surroundings. In front of us loomed a massive log cabin- could I even call it that? It seemed way too extravagant to be classified as such. The cabin was large and designed so splendidly. It was two stories high and was complemented by an outdoor jacuzzi. The cozy glow of lights from the well lit rooms filtered down to us. Forests stretched out behind the cabin as far as I could see.

The scenery was surreally beautiful and completely serene; quiet, except for the stirring of the nocturnal animals. The freshness of the crisp night air enveloped me as I rolled the window down.

Ashton opened my door and held out his hand. "Shall we?"

I took his hand with a smile. "Ash, it's beautiful!"

"I was hoping you'd like it."

"I love it," I said as we walked inside. It was spacious and tastefully decorated, well suited for a royal family.

He looked around and whistled. "This brings back memories."

"When was the last time you came here?"

"We used to come here when I was a kid. Back when everything was simpler." He paused and a sad frown crossed his face. "I suppose that's the wrong way to put it. Things were never simple. I was just young and ignorant of everything going on. Brooke wasn't even born yet."

"This place has just been sitting here then."

"We have people maintain the grounds, just in case we ever decided to come back. I never thought I'd ever see this place again."

I took his hand in mine and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Thanks for taking me here."

His frown morphed into a smile. "There's no one I'd rather be here with."
----------------------------------------------------------

"Let's go check out the hot tub!" I squealed as Ashton scooped me up in his arms and ran outside.

"Of course, princess."

He let me down and we climbed into the steamy water. It felt so good. It felt even better being here with him.

He checked something on his phone and smiled. "Just a few more minutes."