Chapter 46

Chapter 46 is dedicated to The_Twisted_Tale and HumayraPatel and Amulya0675

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

The kingdom of Meryllia was a bustling, contemporary country almost completely surrounded by ocean. With a population of over fifty million, its vast size was almost comparable to its giant neighbor, Crysauralia.

Meryllia thrived off trade and its beautiful, mountainous landscape provided the perfect getaway destination for tourists with a thirst for adventure. The unique salty tinge in the air made me feel vaguely nostalgic for a home I could not remember.

Indistinct chatter wafted up to us from the busy streets where the people went about their usual business. From our spot on the balcony, we could see the large, looming sky tower in the center of Meryll Town, the capital city of the kingdom.

The sky tower was probably my favorite thing in the kingdom so far. It never ceased to amaze me how breathtakingly beautiful it was at night when it glowed with a myriad of colors.

Somewhere in the distance, a clock struck twelve. Kevin and I sipped our hot chocolate while we watched the snow dancing to the Earth in delicate flakes. He slid a slip of paper across the shiny, hardwood surface of the table, reminding me that we still had one more place to visit before it was time to return home.

I chewed on a marshmallow as I studied the address. It was especially cold out today and the warmth of the hotel seemed to invite me to stay indoors. But it was our last day here. It was now or never. I sighed, finishing the hot chocolate and setting the mug down.

“Okay, let’s check it out.”

I stared at the strip of paper, burning the address into my mind as if it would suddenly vanish from the paper. Kevin, who’d been here a month ago for business, pointed out a few interesting places as the car inched forward in the traffic, but I was too distracted to really take notice of them.

The king had given me the address to my childhood home. He said it most likely wasn’t there anymore, but since I’d insisted on visiting Meryllia, he gave it to me anyways. I’d put off going there for the entire week.

If the house wasn’t there, I didn’t want to imagine what I’d find instead. But I hoped that there would be something that could jumpstart my elusive memory.

“It’s just up ahead,” Kevin murmured as we entered a budding commercial district.

There were no other houses around which meant that my childhood home might not be standing anymore.

After a few minutes, my guess was confirmed. The address led us to a large enterprise building. It stood tall and imposing, a common feature among other Meryllian buildings. It seemed to be made of nothing but reflective glass and solar panels. No house. No memories.

After enquiring with a few employees, we found out that the housing scheme had been thoroughly destroyed five years ago to make way for the business places.

“So what should we do now?” Kevin asked as we walked back to the car. “Do you want to head back to the hotel?”

I thought about what our next move should be. Then, I had an idea. “There’s one more place I wanted to check out. The National Library.”

“Of course,” Kevin chuckled. “You wouldn’t be Elizabeth without wanting to check out some books.”

“Hey, books are treasures." I smiled. “Libraries are museums of knowledge.”