Chapter 31

Chapter 31 is dedicated to krazziiqueen and itzdani_2218 and stories_fordayzz

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe he's gone," I mumbled as we stepped out of the hospital room.

The doctors had wanted to do a few more tests on his body before moving it. The queen was still inconsolable and had refused to leave the room. Ashton was with her, trying his best to stay strong for the family.

Before we'd left on the mission, Brooke had been sent to spend time with her grandparents at the queen's kingdom. It was an innocent enough trip for her because she had no idea that we would be off doing something so dangerous. It broke my heart to imagine how heartbroken she would be to find out about this.

"I didn't expect things to turn out this way," Kevin sighed. "To think Malekh really killed him... Why didn't Jackson help him? He must have smelt the blood."

"CaVaughn protected me from Malekh," I whispered. "Maybe if I wasn't there to hold him back, then this wouldn't have happened."

Was there anything else I could have done? Could I have somehow changed the future that Cyrena saw?

"Liz, the last thing I need is for you to start blaming yourself."

"But it's true. I'm never of any help to you guys. I'm not as fast or as strong as you are."

"Those things don't matter. You don't know how much things have changed since you came here."

I stared at the ground and he wrapped me in a hug. "I'm being honest. Your athleticism might be as bad as it can get, but you have a heart of gold. There are things that only you can do."

"I want to be a doctor to save people. I don't want anyone to experience this feeling if I can help it."

"There you go. Just think positive."

I leaned in to him and we watched as the sky darkened and night closed in.
----------------------------------------------------------

It felt like years had passed, while Kevin and I sat in the sterile waiting area. The round, silver clock on the wall indicated that it had only been four hours. It was weird how only a few minutes had drifted by since the last time I'd looked at it.

We'd settled into a contemplative silence. For the most part, everything was quiet. We couldn't hear anything through the soundproof doors and that only amplified my anxiety. I rolled my shoulders back and recrossed my legs for the millionth time, before settling back in my chair. I twisted my hands together, as if that action alone would ease the despair ringing inside me.

Whenever my eyelids drooped with heaviness, the stinging smell of antiseptic reminded me of where I was. When that happened, my feelings of melancholy were renewed.

The encapsulating silence did nothing to quiet the loud, buzzing thoughts that wandered through my mind. It was unsettling, and with every miniscule movement, every subtle whisper of the wind, my head jerked in the direction of CaVaughn's hospital room. Everything around us seemed colored with his absence. My mind felt exhausted, isolated. My eyes were puffy and the well that held my tears was all dried up now. Reality felt warped. It didn't make sense to me for CaVaughn to have died like this. I desperately hoped for a miracle of some sort. Anything would be better than the unfair hand he had been dealt.

A few doctors walked by, their faces solemn and drawn; grim as a gravedigger's smile. I suppose there was still no good news. Kevin was still tense beside me, his ears searching eagerly for any new sound.

The deafening silence persisted, and it blanketed the room with such thickness, that when the doors swiveled open with so much force that they slammed against the wall with a bang, my body jerked alert as if jolted by lightning. Kevin sprang up beside me at the sudden noise as a nurse scrambled out of the room frantically, almost skidding down the smooth tiles of the hallway. She managed to catch herself and raced down the corridor.

"What's that about?" I wondered with a slight frown.

I glanced at Kevin, and his eyes were narrowed and his lips parted in surprise. "How is that possible?" he whispered.

His feet seemed to subconsciously inch their way towards the room and I followed after him, trying to figure out what had gotten him so confused. Even though I knew it was impossible for him to come back, I went a little breathless with hope.

"Kev, we can't go in there," I reminded him as he pushed the doors open. "The doctors are still working."

He ignored my warning and stepped into the room, his eyes a bit unfocused. Ashton and his mom were standing over CaVaughn's bed, petrified in what looked like a blend of shock and horror. Ashton hugged her shoulders while she clutched the flowers to her as her lips moved noiselessly.

The head doctor came rushing in, followed by the nurse who looked like she'd just seen a ghost. He made his way over to CaVaughn's bed.

Everyone's eyes were trained on CaVaughn's face. He was still... not alive... I guess. What was the reason for all the excitement?

He quickly connected CaVaughn to the electrocardiogram and to my utter confusion, there was a slow but steady rhythm of beeps.

"What?" I gasped.

"Impossible," the nurse muttered, going pale.

The doctor looked at all of us and his eyes mirrored our mystification. One of the other doctors who had been with us earlier, came into the room. He did a double take at the electrocardiogram and motioned for the head doctor to explain what was going on.

"I'm not sure myself," the doctor admitted slowly. "He was dead a few hours ago. There's no question about that."

"But he's alive now!"

"I can see that."

"What a phenomenon," he mused, shaking his head. "Let's hope he wakes up soon."

Ashton's face rejuvenated with relief. Mrs. DeLorentes had begun to cry again, but this time her tears were tears of joy.
----------------------------------------------------------

Hey lovelies! Thanks for reading!

So CaVaughn is alive?! Thoughts on this?

He was dead last chapter... how could this be possible?

Leave a comment and a vote❤
See you in the next chapter!