Chapter 50

Chapter 50 is dedicated to all my silent readers. You might not vote or comment, but the fact that you're giving my book a chance means a lot to me!

Thank you for your support ❤
--------------------------------------------------------

The getaway destination for Christmas with the royals was the cabins. It was the queen’s idea. They hadn’t gone there together in a long time and Brooke had never been there. We all agreed that it could be fun going there to relax and spend time together after the declaration ceremony. Somehow, the queen convinced the king to come too, much to Ashton’s dismay.

I was alone on the flight going there, because they had some last minute stuff to take care of before they left the palace.

In a spur of curiosity and bravery, I’d dared to finally turn my phone on and check how the kingdom was reacting to the declaration ceremony. I probably should have given it some more time for the excitement to die down because my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw that I was the number two trending on the search engine.

Callie hadn’t been wrong. Clips of Ashton and me smiling at each other were circulating all over the internet underneath captions like: 'Who Is This Mystery Lady?'

I groaned, as I continued to scroll through the posts. A few articles already had my name embedded into them with pictures turning up from high school and university. I knew this would happen, but still… it felt massively invasive being the center of attention for so many people.

How was I going to face everyone next semester? Ugh, my stomach was in knots already. Dating the crown prince was a pretty big deal, especially when half the empire was already head over heels for the attractive, young royal.

Some of the comments were harsh, while others were speculative. I wasn’t a royal or noble, which made tearing into me that much easier. After a couple more minutes of watching my entire life getting dug up, I was tired. There were even some conspiracy theories, like me being the princess of some unknown kingdom. I had to give it to them, some of the theories they’d come up with were pretty creative.

I sighed and stared out the windows. It was already nighttime. The kingdom glimmered below the soaring heights. I would do my best to make sure I was worthy of the title.

I was lost in my thoughts, until the sound of my phone buzzing drew me out of my reverie. I frowned, wondering who it could be. Only a handful of people had my new number.

I stared at the name and felt my heart rise and plummet at the same time. Noah.

My fingers hesitated over the screen. We hadn’t talked in months. He still couldn’t accept my decision of choosing Ashton which had led to a very awkward phone call a few months ago.

“Hi…” I started.

“Queen E,” Noah breathed. “How are you doing? I saw the news…”

“Yeah, the declaration ceremony was a success.”

“I’m not talking about that,” he sighed. “Everyone knows who you are now. It can be overwhelming being put in the spotlight so suddenly… I guess I was a little worried. I wanted to check how you were holding up.”

“Aw, Noe.” I smiled. “Thanks, but I don’t want to make you worried. You already have enough on your plate as it is.”

“I’m never too busy for you.”

His genuine concern warmed my heart. It was a nice reminder that despite all the nasty comments rolling in, I still had allies.

“It is a bit overwhelming,” I admitted. “But I did sign up for this so I can’t really complain.”

He was silent at that for a while. I had to check to make sure he was still on the line.

“It doesn’t have to be this way, you know,” he said softly.

I knew what he meant by that. With him, I could live a life free from publicity and royal duties. But this was what I’d chosen. Ashton was who I’d chosen and unlike years ago, I was confident in my decision. I wouldn’t regret this, no matter how difficult things got.

“But you know that,” he continued. “I know he loves you.”

“You do?” I asked, surprised.

“Uh huh, although it is pretty annoying to admit,” he chuckled. “I still don’t like him, but hey, I don’t have to. The most important thing is that he makes you happy. If he can do that, then losing you to him is more bearable.”

“Thanks, Noah.” I smiled. “That means a lot to me.”

I could almost feel his smile through the phone. “I did promise you that I’ll always be there for you, didn’t I? No matter what happens, that won’t change. Believe me.”

And I did believe him.
----------------------------------------------------------

NOAH WARREN
Age: 23

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey lovelies! Thanks for reading!

Noah's love and concern for his best friend is still there! He also acknowledges that Ashton loves her. Is he making the right choice by letting her go?

And now Elizabeth's on her way to spend the Christmas holidays with the royal family. Will it be an eventful trip? What will happen there?

If you have any questions about this book, please ask them here or PM me. I'll be making a Q&A chapter where I answer all your questions this week.

Leave a comment and a vote❤
See you in the next chapter!

The Prince's Fiancée | ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara