Chapter 18

"Would it kill you to pay attention for two seconds?" I ask Blaine annoyed. He spends all of his time texting and talking to Teddy on the phone at night that he dozes off while we are supposed to be working.

He leans up with a groan but keeps his eyes closed. "Come on Mace, I'm tired."

I could honestly care less. I just let it go and continue taking care of what I need to. I try to finish the paperwork but also am trying to think of another sparring partner. I need an older male who has a decent size to him. However, no one I'm close with fits the bill.

I have full faith in Alexandra and Avery's methods for training, but they can't mimic the size that Austin is.

"What is that empty head of yours thinking of now?" Blaine asks me laying down on his desk still. "Everything."

"What is there to think about? You have an awesome mate who is literally taking care of everything so you can figure out your life. You have a new group of warriors who seem to be doing well. Oh, also you have me. So...I don't see your issue." Blaine popped his head up to smile at me.

I, however, was not smiling. I just wish I could be half as full of myself as Blaine is. "You are the biggest headache of my life."

"Yes, but in the best way possible or you would have kicked me to the curb a long time ago." He wore the biggest grin like he won something.

I just shake my head and look back down at my paperwork. "Mason," Blaine says lowly.

"In all seriousness, what's wrong?" Blaine being serious is a rare thing so I fully intend to exploit this to get things off my chest.

"I trust Avery and Alexandra-"

"But." Blaine cut me off before I could even finish what I was saying.

"But, neither of them are even close to Austin's size or strength." Blaine just nodded and seemed to understand what I meant.

He kept looking up like he was going through a Rolodex in his brain. After a few moments, he looked at me with lifeless eyes. "Yup I got no one."

Of course, he had no one. I had no one and we grew up together. I throw my head back with an exhausted sigh.

"Actually," Blaine starts. I quickly shoot my head back up and look at him. "What?"

"Nick is Austin's size if not bigger." Oh, I was not trying to spar with Cassie's twin brother. Blaine just looked at me with twinkles in his eyes, proud he came up with someone.

I shake my head at him. "He might have the size but he doesn't have the experience and skill to measure up."

Blaine gives off a laugh and just spins in his chair. "Avery is for experience, Alexandra is for strategy, and Nick can be for size. Stop trying to find an all-in-one. Only an alpha can do that and we both know you're not asking Cassie's dad or V so."

I hate the fact that he's right, but he's right. I am not going to ask either of them and I'm not going to get everything that Austin is from a normal warrior. Hell, I'm not even everything Austin is.

"Oh also, Nick has actually fought with V and his pack like Alexandra and she says that he is the fastest male she has ever seen. So, he might actually help more than you would think."

Like I said Blaine being serious is the reason he's my Beta. It doesn't happen often, but when it does he's kind of scary.

"Look at you actually doing the job of a Beta. I don't know if I should cry or kiss you. I'm so touched." I say to Blaine holding my hands over my chest.