1

Chapter One:
____________________________________________

"I've never recognized a purer face,
You stopped me in my tracks and put me right in my place,
Used to think that lovin' meant a painful chase,
But you're right here now and I think you'll stay."

"The shipment has been sent successfully to the Swedish Don

"The shipment has been sent successfully to the Swedish Don. This is his remaining share of payment." Julius informed and placed a white envelope on the oak desk that sat between us.

I nodded and puffed the smoke out in the air and flicked the cigarette ash in the glass ashtray that was already filled with four finished cigarettes.

"The Don sends his regards." Julius spoke once again and tipped his hat once before he turned around to leave.

"Julius." I called.

His footsteps halted and he turned to face me in one swift move before asking, "ναι, δεν?"

(Yes, don?)

"What about the contract with the Petrakis' family?" I asked while I pressed the lit end of the half-finished cigarette in the center of the ashtray with mild force.

His lips thinned as he seemed to contemplate the right words to use.

"I'm not a patient man, Julius." I narrow my eyes infinitesimally at the tall, brown-haired man standing rigidly in front of me.

After a few more seconds, he finally opened his mouth to reply, "Nothing, Don. You will have to fulfill the stated conditions, I am afraid."

A muscle in my jaw twitched as I heard him say the opposite of what I wanted to hear.

"I am sleeping with Alora. Besides, I hate that brat of a girl. What's her name? Julie?" I asked in utter disgust.

He nodded his head with a deep frown and I dismissed him with a flick of my hand.

After I downed the last sip of my whiskey, I stood up from the leather chair and turned around to face the glass window that overlooked the garden and swimming pool.

The sun was setting and the sky was a fascinating blend of orange and blue with white clouds that seemed to be moving at a steady pace. From where I stood, I could see the guards who patrolled the house, from the backside as well as the inside, dressed in a professional attire of grey suits.

The loud ringing of my phone brought me out of my thoughts and I walked to the desk to pick it up. My best friend, Jason's number flashed on the screen and I swiped to answer.

"Hello." I spoke gruffly.

"What's up, bad boy?" he chirped from the other end.

"I swear if you had been here, your head would have accidentally collided with the wall ten times." I warned.