45

Chapter Forty Five:
____________________________________________

"And if somebody hurts you, I wanna fight.
But my hand's been broken, one too many times.
So I'll use my voice, I'll be so fucking rude.
Words they always win, but I know I'll lose."

The breeze was chill and the night sky was darker than usual

The breeze was chill and the night sky was darker than usual. There was not a single star illuminating the sky and every single thing in the surrounding was eerily quiet with an occasional whoosh of the air.

I was walking barefoot on the concrete path that led to God knows where.

It was an alley.

There were walls on either side and my feet were tired of walking.

It seemed like an endless alleyway.

There was a small ray of light peeking out at the end of the passage and my feet were moving at a quicker pace towards it, now.

In my haste to reach the end, my feet tripped over something and I nearly toppled over but thankfully maintained my balance.

I looked down to see that it was my dress.

I was wearing a white dress that reached below my ankles and it had a long trail that rustled behind me on the floor.

I frowned in confusion but decided to brush it off. For some reason, I wanted to reach there.

I could make out a silhouette leaning against a wall beside the light. I narrowed my eyes to get a better look and figured it's a tall man.

His head suddenly whipped in my direction, as if sensing my gaze on him, and he straightened his back before he started to walk towards me.

I halted in my tracks.

Why is he walking towards me?

Nonetheless, I willed my feet to move forward due to the curiosity rising in my chest.

As he walked closer, I saw his eyes and a smile lit up my features. He was wearing a white shirt and black slacks, formal, as always.

"Darius." I whispered.

"Eirene." He said back and I ran towards him while picking the sides of my dress to avoid tumbling again.

We met halfway and he picked me up before twirling me high in the air. My hands rested on his shoulders and I giggled, the sound of my voice cutting through the pin-drop silence and suddenly making everything alive.

He put me down after a few seconds and placed a tender kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes, basking in his love and scent.

"What were you doing there?" I asked.