58

Chapter Fifty-Eight:

____________________________________________

"I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to turn to
This all or nothing way of loving got me sleeping without you
Now, I need somebody to know
Somebody to heal
Somebody to have
Just to know how it feels
It's easy to say but it's never the same
I guess I kinda liked the way you helped me escape."

I moaned in pain and peeled my eyes open to see my room's ceiling.

I closed my eyes for a second and reopened them to look around the room. The curtains were closed but I could see the sunlight peaking through it.

A movement on my right caught my eye and I instantly turned my head in that direction to see Sylvia standing up from the armchair.

I frowned, "When did you come?" I croaked out.

She picked up a glass of water from the bedside table and gave it to me, "Yesterday morning."

She helped me sit up and placed two pillows behind my back, the thumping pain in my shoulder was killing me.

My frown deepened, "Yesterday morning?"

She nodded and I grabbed the glass of water from her hand before taking a sip.

"You've been out for a whole day." She informed me.

My eyes widened slightly, "What?"

She sighed and sat back down on the chair, "You were hurt pretty bad and by the time Aegeus came to check up on you, you'd lost quite a few bottles of blood."

I looked away from her, everything coming back all at once.

And there it was. The extremely painful punch in my gut.

I closed my eyes tightly and clutched the comforter.

The alarm bells went off in my head and I turned to face Sylvia, who was observing me.

"Is he-"

"He's in the ICU. But, Adrian said that they’ll shift him to a room tonight." She replied before I could ask.

I gulped audibly and looked down at the sheets.

"The bullet was half an inch from his heart. It's caused a lot of damage." She added.

My heart constricted inside my chest and I could physically feel the pain of it.

“You should eat something, Eirene. And then, I can take you to the hospital in the evening.”

I shook my head in negative, “I don’t wanna go.”

From my peripheral vision, I saw her look at me, probably in surprise, but I remained quiet.

“Eiren-”

“You should go, Sylvia. I’m okay.” I whispered.

“No, you’re not. You just killed a person, your father to be precise, and you’re shutting everyone out, even yourself.” She sighed and came to sit at the foot of the bed.

“I know how it feels. You’re not used to this so I just want to tell you that it’s completely alright to feel this way.” She further added.

I looked up at her, “If it’s alright to be like this, why are you all so concerned?”

For a second she looked at me baffled, but then she said, “It’s alright to feel it but it’s not okay to isolate yourself.”

“I’m not isolating myself, Sylvia.” I paused and looked her dead in the eye, “It’s the people in my life who love to distance themselves from me.”