People Forget so I Have to Explain

The taxi ride was hard. A lot of time to think. We finally arrived at our destination and I get out, the driver is confused but doesn't complain as he drives away. It's still raining, which reminds me of the first time I walked up this hill. Good times. I make my way up the hill towards the massive pine tree. Peleus is wrapped around the base sleeping, as I get to the top he opens a single eye to look who it is. He saw it was me and then went back to sleeping, "good boy," I say as I walk past and pat him. I stand at the peak and look out over the camp, it had been a while since I saw it last. The sun was setting, with the top about to dip below the horizon. I looked over the camp, a lot had been destroyed in the battle with the romans but luckily it wasn't anything to major. I could see everyone making their way to the amphitheatre ready to burn the shrouds of the fallen demigods. With a sigh I make my way down the hill and to where everyone is going, stopping at my cabin to drop my bag off. I was the last one to arrive at the camp fire so I just stood off to the side. It was a lot more crowded with the romans here almost not fitting everyone in. Chiron was out the front starting to give a speech, All the cabin heads were behind him as well as the seven, Thalia as the lieutenant of the Hunters of Artemis, Reyna as Praetor of roam and all the leaders of the Roman cohorts. Chiron started giving a a speech about how everyone who had died had died a hero and would be remembered and honoured as such. He was completely right of course, everyone who had died was a hero, but they didn't deserve to die. Hero or no hero, but they did, because I wasn't good enough to stop it. 

Eventually Chiron was finished, then each cabin head and cohort leader began to burn the shrouds of the fallen from their group. While that was happening Chiron spotted me off to the side and came to join me. "How are you feeling my boy?" I didn't answer straight away, I just continued to look at the different colours of smoke going into the air. "Honestly, I'm not great Chiron. We lost to many good kids, all because I wasn't strong enough to stop it," I said to him quietly. This time it was his turn to be quiet. "You can't blame yourself Percy, you know that. You have done more than anyone could ask for and everyone is thankful for that. Everyone here is alive because of you, but unfortunately, people die in wars. It's not right but it happens and no matter how strong you get, you can't change that." 

"You say that I've done more than anyone could ask from me, but yet they keep asking. I can accept that they keep asking me, I don't like it but I accept it. But every time I lead them, I ask these people who shouldn't have to fight, to lay down their lives because I'm not strong enough to protect them. Now we stand here and say they died as hero's, which they did, but they didn't need to die at all." Chiron just stood there for a moment to think about what I said. I know that I won't be able to stop everyone from dying, but I'm going to try and change that. "Percy," he started, "All those people down there would follow you to the ends of the earth if you asked."

"But I don't want them to, I don't want them to follow me, because if they do, some of them will end up dying because of it," I cut him off.

"That's true, but it is still their choice to do so. Everyone knows the risks and they know what it will cost, but they follow you anyway. That's why some of the gods are wary of you. With a single speech you could have every demigod alive rallied to fight the gods. They follow you because they know that you will do everything you can do protect them. They trust you, even if they know that not everyone will make it back." It was a scary thought, would I really be able to do something like that. Would everyone actually follow me anywhere. I hope not. "Everything is about to change Chiron, I can tell you that." He looked at me sceptically, and after what he just said to me he was a little wary. I laugh at the look, "don't worry, I'm not going to try and overthrow the gods, it's to much effort running the world," I chuckle, "no, you'll find out soon but things are going to start changing around here." He's still looking at me a little weird, "and don't worry, I don't think anything bad will happen."