I Train, I Let go and a Pleasant Surprise

"So what kind of training are we doing?" I asked my dad. A small smile pulled at his lips.

"I love the enthusiasm son, but first we will need to test the limits of your powers. The room is sealed by magic so there is no need for you to hold back." I thought about it for a second, it was actually a really good idea. "Alright," I said while starting to stretch a little, "what would you like to test first?" 

"First will be simple, your control over water. I want you to lift all the water out of the pond and creek. Keep it the same shape in the air. Everything has to work the same as it does on the ground, water has to come in, flow down the creek and sit in the pond, then the water has to be drained out as normal as well." Yeah that is definitely simple. There are so many things to focus on but I guess he did say we were testing my limits. 

I took a few deep breaths in order to focus. I closed my eyes and reached both arms out. I felt the tug in my gut that had become so familiar to me over the years as I focused on lifting the water. I slowly opened my eyes so I could see what I was doing. Slowly the water began to lift. I started with the pond because that had the most water. I lifted the water up into the air and created a little water spiral down into the hole that the water drained out from. Once that was done and steady I turned my attention on the flowing creek. As I focused on lifting it into the air the tug in the pit of my stomach got stronger. I lifted it up and made sure to send the water filtering into the room up to meet it. I could feel sweat dripping down my forehead. I had controlled large bodies of water before but this was different. In the past it was a single action like a wave or a whip. I have never had to focus on controlling the actions of something so big before.

"Well done son, now keep it like that for as long as you can. Do not let a single drop fall." I heard my father say. This is ridiculous, I don't think I'll be able to hold this for any longer than five minutes.

I closed my eyes again, blocking out anything unnecessary. Taking some deep breathes I continued manually making this creek flow. Now that everything was working properly, the hardest part was controlling the amount of water that drained out. It didn't help that fatigue was setting in fast. 

I have been going for about 3 and a half minutes now but I could tell my body was reaching its limit. I opened my eyes, I now had to see if any waters fell. If I could stop it and bring it back to normal maybe my dad would let me continue.

Four minutes now. Sweat is pouring down the sides of my face and my arms have started to shake. Suddenly some water fell from the middle of the creek. I stopped it before it hit the ground and bought it back to join the rest. 4 minutes 15 now. I couldn't stop them from falling. More and more puddles of water fell from the sky, I could stop them all from hitting the ground. However, I still had the main part going. Then I collapsed to the ground and all the water came crashing down with me. I lay on my back breathing heavily. "Not bad Percy, 4 minutes 27 seconds by my count," dad said as he looked down at me sprawled out on the flaw. It took me a few more deep breathes before I could say anything back. "Yeah, new record," I said with fake enthusiasm while also lifting my arm in the air to even further exaggerate the win. My arm fell back to the floor with a thud. I saw my father roll his eyes. 

He summoned some water from the creek and threw it on me. Suddenly I had enough energy to stand. "Get up son, we are far from finished," he said. I pushed myself to my feet with a groan, this was not going to be an easy day. "So we've found the limit to which you can control water. Next will be your earth shaker powers. These powers are much more difficult to control, but they are also more powerful." He was right, I had seen first hand what my power over the earth was able to do. I'd blown up a volcano and was even told by Hephaestus that I had yet to grasp the strength of those powers. "Alright," I nodded, "what do you want me to do?"