ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 6

Bálburunn was enjoying the festivities, drinking ale out of her horn when she noticed Björn talking to his dad. The boy did not look happy.

"What?" The boy asked to his father.

"No. You are not going."

"Why?" Björn whined.

"Because I said so."

When the redhead walked over, the boy quickly grabbed her. "Bálburunn, father won't let me go to England with him!"

Bálburunn looked between them, frowning. "Is Björn still not ready? I thought you said..."

"I am strong enough, father!"

Ragnar groaned when he slowly kneeled down, grabbing his son's shoulders. "I said no, son."

Björn stormed away, running to the ale. Ragnar's eyes met the girl's emerald ones. "Does this mean I am not going either?" She said with a hardened gaze. She gripped her drinking horn.

He shook his head, wide eyes staring at the fiery child. "Not this time, Bálburunn."

Her face grew dark. She threw her ale in the man's face. "Stupid old man! If you will not let me go with you, I will go somewhere on my own!" She yelled as she threw her cup at him too, storming out of the longhouse. Ragnar smiled, shaking his head as Floki fell to the floor in laughter.

The girl walked back to Floki's hut. It was a long walk from Kattegat, but she was still angry when she reached the doors. She grabbed her bow, her hunting knife, and a shield. She packed apples and jerky before exiting the hut.

Björn could not find Bálburunn for the rest of the night. Floki left that evening, but returned to Kattegat in the morning with word that his daughter was gone. The men had no time to search for her – they were planning to leave for England the next day.

"What if Floki forgets about her? What if he doesn't look for her when he gets back?" Björn asked his mother the next evening as she tucked him into bed.

"Bálburunn is a strong girl. She is able to take care of herself." Lagertha said, kissing her son on the forehead.

"I am not worried about her safety," The blond boy said, staring at her, "I am worried she will not return."

"Perhaps she will not return." His mother whispered, "But, perhaps she will. She will come back with stories of the beasts she has slain. She will come back stronger than ever, and you must match her. We shall train you to take on Bálburunn the Bearslayer while she is gone. Would you like that?"

Björn nodded, smiling at his mother.

"Good. Goodnight, my son."

The fire sparked as the redhead warmed her hands over it. Behind her was a tent made of tree branches and foliage. A hot pot of rabbit stew sat beside her. It was cool from the night's breeze, but she had finished the stew long ago. She had been tracking a legendary bear, Ógurligr, for weeks now. Nearby villagers pointed to the mountain she was staying on, but so far she had only found the remains of the great bear's meals - no tracks or droppings. The girl clung to her furs, made from the animals she found along her journey.

She wanted to forget about Kattegat, but no matter how hard she's tried, she could not stop thinking about the people she missed. Björn was just as mad as her about not being invited ton the raid, yet he did not go into the wilderness with something to prove. It had been almost a year since she ran away. She wondered if Floki missed her, and if Björn had improved on his fighting technique. She wondered if the trip was successful for Ragnar.

But she could not go back.

The pilgrimage to Upsalla would be starting soon. Even if she were to go back, no one would be home to welcome her. Upsalla was three days away from her, but she still had not slain Ógurligr, and she would not return without her new cloak.

The next day, she got lucky. She discovered a den, decorated with the bones of weak animals. She would stay nearby, waiting for the beast. Bálburunn climbed a tall tree, pulling out her bow and arrow while she waited. As the sun set, she could hear deep gruffs sounding from under her. She spotted him, Ógurligr, white-furred and bloodstained from his latest kill. He was gigantic – a monstrous mix of sharp claws, thick skin, and raw power. He was three times the size of the bear Bálburunn killed when she was ten. She gave a silent prayer to Odin and Skadi for luck, before drawing her bow. The beast sniffed the air, grunting a little.

He could smell her.

She loosed her arrow quickly. It struck him in the back of the neck. The bear turned up to the girl, roaring violently and charging at the tree. It threw its body into the wood, causing its roots to crack. The tree gave way. Bálburunn jumped before it hit the ground, rolling into the fresh snow. She drew her arrow once more, hitting the white bear in the side this time. It roared again, charging at her. She pulled out her sword, rolling to evade its stampede. Bálburunn swung at it as soon as she got to her feet. The beast dodged it, swiping at her shoulder, leaving an open wound. She stumbled back, and it swiped her again in the leg, this time deeper. She gritted her teeth, throwing a jab at its leg. The bear hopped to the right, barreling up to the roof of its den.

Many people tried to defeat the beast, in hopes to save their farm animals. All faced their deaths. Bálburunn refused to die that day.

The beast huffed before charging at her again. This time, Bálburunn jumped over the beast, grabbing a hold of its neck fat and swinging her sword down onto its back. It snarled, bucking her off its body. The redhead tumbled to the ground. She slowly stood up, catching her breath as Ógurligr approached her. The bear stood on its hind legs, swiping at her and knocking her sword out of her hand. She lost her footing and fell backwards. The bear roared, stepping on her right arm, crushing it under the massive weight. Bálburunn let out a yell. She quickly grabbed her hunting knife from her belt. As a final resort, she plunged it into the belly of the beast using her good arm, dragging it across its body as hard as she could. Intestines, blood, and other fluids fell out onto the girl, drenching her in a horrid stench. The bear let out a sad groan, falling over. Its monstrous paw was still crushing her.

Bálburunn's head fell back as she panted. Her arm was definitely broken, but she was alive. She squeezed out from under the massive creature, shaking.

Björn panted as he climbed the steps of the path. It was the first year that his father allowed him to go to Upsalla with him. He hadn't spoken much to either of his parents for most of the day. They were fighting about the baby Lagertha lost. He could not help but wonder if Bálburunn would be going with them, had she stayed in Kattegat. She may not have been invited, but she would invite herself anyway if she found out Björn was going. Floki walked behind Björn, charcoaled eyes glancing everywhere. Björn could tell that Floki was thinking about the redhead too.

They reached the top of the mountain where the gigantic temple stood, golden roof glittering in the sunlight. They entered, stopping by the priest to perform the welcoming ritual. Björn flinched when the blood hit his face. He walked across stones to pray to Odin's statue. That night, his father walked out on Lagertha, wandering off into the crowd of people hallucinating and having sex.

The next day, Athelstan was accused of worshipping his false god, thus being exempt from sacrifice. Floki stood up to replace him, claiming he has nothing without his girl, and that only the Gods would bring him happiness. Helga refused to allow him to go.

The ceremony was long. Björn noticed Athelstan's fright as they watched the priest cut the throats of the sacrifices, wiping their blood into a bowl. He glared at the priest. He wished Athelstan died instead of Leif - at least Leif could fight.