ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 11

Bálburunn was munching on an apple as she surveyed the men training for their next raid. Ragnar was training Athelstan in the sand, teaching him techniques and different ways to block. Floki stood beside her, smirking.

"It is fun to tell people that my seventeen year old daughter does not need any training." He giggled. "It makes them very angry."

"I am surprised no one has tried to hit you, Floki." She said to the man, giving him a smile.

"Oh, they tried. Luckily for me, I am quick with my feet."

"Bálburunn!" The two turned their heads to Ragnar, who locked eyes with the teenager. "Come here, please." She walked over with hesitance, still munching her apple. Athelstan gave her a wary smile, apologizing to her with his eyes. "Athelstan must learn how to deflect without a shield. Would you be able to demonstrate?"

Before she could answer, Ragnar threw a sword at her. She caught it quickly, the apple remaining in her other hand. Ragnar pointed his sword at her before lunging. She backed up as she blocked his attacks quickly, lunging back at him when she could. He swung down at her using both hands but she deflected it to her left, rolling to the right shortly after, she jabbed at his thighs, but he jumped back before she could hit him.

They circled each other for a moment before reengaging in the fight. Floki giggled in the distance. The redhead peered around to see the men staring at the two of them. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Ragnar take a swing. She threw her apple at his sword, ducking and rolling forward, standing behind him and slashing at his shoulder. He turned quickly, blocking her attack and engaging in another dance of swords. Bálburunn noticed that he was weak when it came to a certain angle in his shoulder, perhaps the consequence of a previous wound.

She used it to her advantage. He slashed down at her from that angle and she deflected it harder than usual, knocking him off balance. He brought his sword up just in time for them to finish at a draw, both blades pressed against each other's throats.

The crowd surrounding them applauded. Ragnar's eyes twinkled as he smiled at the teenager. She knew exactly what he was doing – he was trying to motivate the men for the journey ahead of them. It was working.

Athelstan gave her a grin, clapping along with the other men.

"You see, Athelstan?" Ragnar said to the priest, clapping a hand on his back, "That is how you defend yourself." The Earl winked at the redhead.

"You owe me an apple, Ragnar." The girl said with a smile, sticking the sword in the ground and walking back to Floki.

Floki and Bálburunn were loading the boats with crates of food. The day had finally come where they would sail for England. Aslaug almost forced Bálburunn to stay, but Ragnar managed to convince her that the teenager was of more use on the battlefield than tending to children. The redhead straightened her back, wiping the sweat off her forehead. The sun was already at its peak in the sky, burning down on her. King Horik clumped down the docks, followed by his sons. Ari stared at the girl, giving her a soft smile. Ragnar followed them, wearing his regular smirk.

They set sail less than an hour later. Floki leaned against the main mast, crossing his arms as Bálburunn sat beside him.
"Are you jealous?" Ragnar asked the boney man, referring to King Horik's boats that were sailing alongside them. Floki let out a giggle.

"They won't even make it out of the fjord." He stated, scratching at the charcoal under his eyes.

Ragnar laughed, clapping his hand on Floki's arm before walking towards the King.

"I give him week at the most," The redhead stated, covering her head with a hood. The sun always turned her pink on voyages. The year before, the sun had burnt her so badly on the shoulders that they blistered up. She had strange scars from the burn still. She would not make the same mistake as last time.