ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 23

This chapter contains mature themes

This chapter contains mature themes. Please be advised.

The crowd eventually died down, most of the townsfolk receding to their homes

The crowd eventually died down, most of the townsfolk receding to their homes. The Earl's advisors and friends were invited in for a feast, although Bálburunn was unsure if anyone had an appetite after what they had just witnessed. She danced around the hearthfire with several others, spinning around and stomping to the beat of the drums. Floki grabbed her hands, jumping around with his adopted daughter. Her cheeks were red from the ale and the dancing, a small film of sweat gathering at her forehead as they laughed and twirled. Bálburunn reached her hand out to Björn, but he simply shook his head, bringing a cup to his face. Bálburunn frowned, but continued dancing. Little Ubbe ended up replacing Floki later on, standing on Bálburunn's shoes while she held his small hands.

The fun of dancing eventually wore off, and the redhead found herself sitting beside Aslaug, staring into the crowd.

"When my child comes, Bálburunn, I would like you to be there." The woman spoke smoothly, smiling softly. Bálburunn frowned.

"Why?" She blurted out. She dropped her head immediately after, mentally kicking herself for sounding rude. "Sorry, Princess, I only mean..."

"You are not accustomed to womanhood. I know that. It would do you well to learn about birth, so you can assist in the future."

"If it will please you, I will be there, Princess Aslaug." Bálburunn said quietly.

"Thank you, Bálburunn." The very pregnant woman stood up, waddling away. Not long after, Lagertha sat down beside Bálburunn.

"Björn is cross with you." The blonde woman stated, staring at Bálburunn.

"It is...complicated." The redhead chose her words carefully, running a hand through the braids Ragnar did for her.

"You had sex. That does not seem too complicated to me."

Bálburunn paused, staring at the older woman. "Did he tell you?" She whispered.

"He did not have to tell me. Your longing stares and touches say it all." Bálburunn felt her face warm up. She gulped down the rest of her ale.

"He is enamoured with one of the slave girls, Þórunn. I thought that after we..." The redhead paused, giving Lagertha a look, "That he would forget about her. But, I heard him and Ragnar talking about it. It seems Björn still has an interest in her."