ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 19

This chapter contains mature subject matter. Please be advised.

"Where is Björn? Rollo told me he was going to join you both."

Bálburunn shrugged, not wanting to talk about it. Her father figure gave her an elbow, which caused her to sigh. "He has become infatuated with one of the slave girls, Þórunn. Perhaps he became distracted and forgot."

"And what do you think? Of this slave girl?" Ragnar scratched his beard.

The redhead shrugged once more. "She is pretty, I suppose. She expressed interest in becoming a shield maiden once when I talked to her. I do not dislike her."

"And what would you say if I told you Aslaug has been thinking about making this slave girl a free woman?"

She gulped. "I would say that it is a decision for you and Aslaug to make alone, Ragnar."

Ragnar nodded, satisfied with her answer. "If you see Björn, let him know what he missed." The Earl smiled at her. She gave him an awkward nod, turning and walking out of the longhouse.

She almost ran to Björn's quarters, cheeks reddening from the harsh night wind. She burst into the small building, frowning when his eyes met hers. "Björn Ragnarsson, were you dropped as a child?" She said, running up to him and gripping his shirt, slamming him against the wall. "You want to prove yourself to your father, yet you don't show up when we are told to help him. How do you expect him to respect you when you are off fucking a slave girl in his time of need?" Her voice was loud, and she could tell in his eyes that her volume was a problem, but she did not care.

"I was not—"

"Even Rollo is disappointed. Does that mean anything to you?!" She yelled.

"Lower your voice."

"Why? You don't want the whole village knowing about your affairs?" She slammed him into the wall again. "Perhaps you shouldn't stare longingly at slave girls for hours on end, then! What would you even do if she said 'yes'? Do you even know how to please a woman—"

"Bálburunn." He hissed, grabbing her shoulders. A muffled footstep sounded from the corner of the room. She turned to look, spotting the blonde slave. The redhead dropped her arms, sighing. Þórunn shuffled uncomfortably, staring at the floor.

"So I was right."

"Come with me." Björn muttered, grabbing the redhead's sleeve and leading her out into the cold.

"You are an idiot." She spat at him while he dragged her to a large building. "I did not realize how stupid you truly are until this day."

"Would you be saying these things if you hadn't kissed me?" He murmured. Her green eyes lit up in fury.

"That has nothing to do with this." She hissed at him. "And might I add, that kiss was not one sided."

Björn huffed, opening the door to the building. "Perhaps."

"Where are you lead—"

"Do you ever shut up?"

That earned him a punch in the arm.

Bálburunn wrinkled her nose when the stench of body odour and blood hit her sinuses. Björn grabbed a torch off the wall, leading her to the center of the room. Something moved in the dark, causing Bálburunn to pull back a little. She reached to the only dagger on her belt. Björn's hand gently covered it. "It's okay." He whispered.

"So, you've come back?" A familiar voice croaked. "And you've brought her?" Bálburunn's breath hitched.

"Björn—" She tried to pull her wrist out of his grip, but he wouldn't let go.