ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 8

Princess Aslaug arrived.

She was pregnant - very pregnant.

Lagertha stared at her husband, murder in her eyes.

During the evening, Lagertha attempted to talk to Aslaug. She was cordial, but Björn could feel the thick air.

"Do you remember me, Björn? Do you remember when we stood in front of the tree of life?" The witch asked. Björn frowned.

"It was not the tree of life. It was just a tree."

"You're right. We both know that. It creates a bond between us."

"I don't think so," Björn glared, "We don't have any bond. I don't want any bond with you."

Aslaug looked down. Ragnar remained unusually silent.

"She can't stay here." Björn said the next day.

Ragnar stared at his son. "She is pregnant with my child."

"She brings unhappiness and difficulty. Can't you see that? Are you blind?"

Ragnar's face twitched. "I know it is hard for you to accept, but unhappiness is more common than happiness. Who told you that you should be happy? You have come to an age where you must grow up and be responsible about such things. When I was your age, I had many friends. All are dead." Björn stared at the ground. He was thinking about Bálburunn again. "The happiness is neither here nor there."

My happiness is away in the woods, hunting animals, the boy thought.

The two visited Floki later that day.

"I am not dead yet," The bony man said, "No thanks to your father."

Ragnar let out a chuckle. "Say what you want about me. I'm just glad that the Gods were stupid enough to save you."

"The Gods, and Helga."

"You must regain your strength. There is so much to do – many boats that need to be built. You and I are not finished yet. Our journey has just begun."

Floki grinned. "It's true. I thought I was dead. While I was dead, I was dreaming of other places, and the places that you and I will sail to." He grimaced. He moved too much and his wounds had not healed.

"Rest," Ragnar said, before leaving. Björn stared at Floki, who was still grinning.

"She would have been thirteen years old today." He whispered to the boy. "Thirteen years old, and perhaps the greatest shield maiden the world had seen."

"You think she is dead?" Björn said hesitantly. Floki shook his head.

"The Gods would never rid her from the world so soon. But they stole her from me, and that is something that brings me pain."

"I miss her."

"She misses you too. I am sure of it." He sighed. He was still smiling, but his eyes were glossy. Helga looked over. "One day, my child will return to me, more powerful than ever, and she will kill Ragnar with her bare hands for his nonsense." He laughed, wincing again from the pain.

Björn laughed with him.

The feast that night was slightly less awkward with Floki there, but it was still tense. Aslaug prepared the feast, but behind their etiquettes, Lagertha was still angry. Aslaug admitted that she did not cook the food; she had just bought the ingredients. Ragnar smiled, uncomfortable.

"Looking at both of you, in my home, I see no reason why you two should not get along together." Lagertha did not return his smile, "You two are very different, but both strong. I have heard that similar arrangements exist all over this country."