ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 12

"Jarl Borg has invaded his lands while Ragnar was away. He killed all that stood against him. Rollo, Siggy, Princess Aslaug and her children have all fled Kattegat." Björn whispered to his mother.

"I cannot believe this. What are the Gods thinking?"

"Ragnar will come back. He will come back to fight for his land and we must help him."

Lagertha looked at her son. "We can't."

"But you used to-"

"It's not Earl Sigvard's quarrel. Why should he fight to restore Ragnar's lands?"

"You could ask him!" Björn argued, exhasparated. His mother stood silent. He scoffed.

"I miss her too, Björn. I miss your father, Floki, and Bálburunn. But the Earl will not agree to this."

Later that night, Björn passed by his mother's bedroom, but stopped when he heard her grunts of protest. He drew his dagger.

"Don't ever treat me like your whore! I am your wife, I am not your whore. Do you understand?" Lagertha's muffled voice shouted from the other side.

The door opened shortly after, revealing his disordered mother. She looked at her son, then at his dagger.

"He's asleep. Go to bed."

"But he-"

"I said go to bed. He will not harm me." He stared at the disheveled and sweaty woman. "But thank you." She kissed his head.

A priest came to question the northmen in the afternoon. Ragnar told him he intended to make peace with the Englishmen, and negotiate land claims. Before the priest left, King Horik killed on of the Englishmen, smashing the poor boy's face in while Floki giggled in the background. The other men laughed with him but Ragnar did not seem impressed.

They rode to Wessex the next day, exchanging Ragnar for the King's son as hostages.

The King's son was fat. He smelled of meat and pungent perfume. She wrinkled her nose as he rode past her. Floki let out a giggle at her expression.

Floki and Bálburunn spent the rest of the day carving out statuettes of the gods from the wood scraps laying around. She hid her Thor on Ragnar's bed, and gave her Sif carving to Athelstan, who thanked her even though Floki was laughing at him in the background.

Ragnar returned not long after, ready to discuss plans. He sat by the feast table, petting a baby ram while chatting with the King and his advisors. A horn blew before they could finish their discussion. Everyone stood, staring at the Viking boat approaching them.

"That's Thorvard!" Horik said, running to the shore. "Thorvard, what brings you here?"

"I bring grave news for Ragnar Lothbrok." Bálburunn and Floki walked over, standing behind Ragnar. "Your lands are lost, invaded by Jarl Borg. Your family has fled to a place only the Gods know. Now Jarl Borg lives in your hall and rules in your place."

Ragnar stared at Thorvard, wide eyed. He dropped the animal and ran off to his tent. Floki and Bálburunn exchanged a look, following him.

"Are we leaving tonight?" Floki asked, pushing the curtain aside. Ragnar threw his sheathed sword at the boney man, giving him a headshake.

"Tomorrow, first light." Bálburunn grabbed his chest and a bag of apples, rushing them out to their boat. She came back to his tent, where Horik was already talking to Ragnar.

"If you will permit this man Athelstan, to remain with me, he can do the talking." Horik clapped his hand on Athelstan's back.

"Athelstan is a free man." Ragnar said, rolling up his blankets, "It is his choice."