ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 22

Bálburunn woke up to voices coming from the middle of the room

Bálburunn woke up to voices coming from the middle of the room. It was Ragnar and Björn's soft murmurs. She remembered falling asleep on Ragnar's knees the night before, and then being tucked into a pair of warm fur blankets. She kept her eyes shut, listening in on their conversation.

"Is that where she has been all night? Floki asked me where she was this morning. I told him I didn't know."

"Yes."

"I haven't seen her in a few days, actually. Do you know where she went?"

"I do not know, Björn. Why don't you ask her? Or are you fighting again?" Ragnar muttered. He growled when his son didn't reply. "What did I tell you before? Think with your head, not your—"

"I am! I haven't..."

"If there is one thing I have learned, son, it is that shieldmaidens do not like to share."

Bálburunn's eyes widened. Were they talking about Þórunn and her?

"I have it under control, father." Bálburunn could barely make out what the younger man had said - his voice was so quiet. The sound of sloshing water echoed through the hall. Someone was bathing. "Are men...able to go to Valhalla if they are blood eagled?" Björn asked, changing the topic. The bathwater churned.

"Only if they suffer in silence. If he screams, he can never enter its portals."

A loud knock sounded from the longhouse's front door. The water churned once more.

"Earl Ingstad is here." It was Torstein's voice. The bathwater splashed around. It must have been Ragnar bathing.

"Where is he?" Ragnar asked.

"He would not enter the great hall. He chose instead to remain in the woods." Torstein's footsteps echoed for a moment before the doors closed. Bálburunn could hear Ragnar stand up.

"Wake Bálburunn," He said, his soft footsteps heading to the direction of his bed chambers. "We shall meet with the Earl."

In a quick moment, Bálburunn felt a hand on her shoulder, shaking her gently.

"Bál," It was Björn's soft voice that echoed in her ear. She faked her awakening, breathing in as she opened her eyes slowly to look at him. "Earl Ingstad is here. We must meet with him." His breath was hot on her cheek. Bálburunn slowly stood up, placing the warm furs down. She frowned when she noticed Björn's burning gaze.

"What is it?" She asked with a fake raspy voice.

"You're wearing a dress." He said, wide-eyed. "You never wear dresses. What was it for?" He stared, reaching up to her braided curls, "And your hair..."

"That was Ragnar." She laughed, before looking down at her dress. The girl hesitated, not wanting to reveal Floki's secret wedding. "It was nothing, I just needed to clean my clothes before—"