ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 13

It took days for them to arrive, but they finally made it to where Ragnar was rumoured to be staying. Björn could spot Floki's gangly figure in the distance, standing beside a woman who he could only assume was Helga. They were missing a certain person with red locks.

"It has been a long time." Ragnar said, clutching his chain mail as they rode up to him.

"Hello, Ragnar." Lagertha smiled, dismounting her horse. Björn dismounted as well, walking up to his father. "I heard of your troubles. I have brought these warriors to help you."

Ragnar's piercing blue eyes locked onto Björn. He walked towards the teenager, who now exceeded his height.

"And you are?" Ragnar asked, eyes twinkling.

"I'm your s-" Ragnar brought him into a strong hug. "Father." Björn breathed.

"I always knew in my heart that I would see you again." Ragnar said, holding Björn's head. "But I never guess it would be in such circumstances."

They pulled away. "Who can guess the plans and ways of the Gods? But now they have contrived to bring us back and I for one am glad for it."

Ragnar smiled, looking over Björn once more. He grabbed his arms, feeling the muscle underneath.

"Ha!" The father said, backing away, "I do not need to ask if you have been fed well. You have grown so tall. When this is over, we shall have many stories to tell."

"You and I, father, are bound both by ties of memory and blood." The blond teenager stated.

"It seems your mother and I have produced a son that is both strong and wise."

"And if my sister had lived, she would have been the same."

"Yes. And you are right to carry her memory, as do I." Ragnar's hand dropped from his son's face.

"For a long time, father, I feel I have carried nothing else but memories. But now, here, in this place, with you and with my mother, I feel...reborn. As if I have a life to lead."

Ragner smiled once more, looking up to the sky, before pulling his child in for another hug.

"Far too long." He pulled his song along with him, back to the farmhouse.

"Floki," Björn whispered as he spotted the boney man, standing by the entrance.

"Yes! Yes!" He squeaked, jumping over to hug the boy. "You stayed true to your path!"

"And Helga, it is good to see you." Björn said to the blonde lady standing near them.

"You as well, Björn. Is your mother with you?"

"Yes, she is just directing the men. She will come inside shortly." Helga nodded, walking into the field to wave at his mother.

"Come inside, Björn! We have much to discuss!" Floki said, throwing an arm over his shoulder. "Did you pass Bálburunn by any chance?"

Björn's grey eyes widened. "No. Was she here? Did she return to you after all, Floki? I have only heard news of her exploits."

The man grinned. "She will be bringing back men from Botarskal to fight for Ragnar. She returned to Kattegat not long after you and your mother left. She has led the men on many raids to the east since, and she came with us to England."

"I am glad to hear she is making a name for herself."

Floki giggled. "Yes, she is my hearthfire. Now, enough about her, what about you?"

Bálburunn woke up beside a mop of curly brown locks. Askel was his name, if she remembered correctly. She slowly removed his hand from her waist, placing it on her pillow. It was a fun night, but she did not want him to get the impression that it would be a regular thing.