ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 17

It was still raining when Björn caught up to Askel. They were both on horses, but Björn took a bow and a quiver of arrows with him before rushing out of Kattegat.

They galloped across farming fields, Björn slowly catching up as time went on. Finally, he readied his bow, pulling the arrow back as he aimed. He loosed it, hitting Askel in the shoulder, knocking him off his horse. Askel shouted when he landed, tripping while trying to stand up. Björn dismounted quickly, running over to the dark haired man. He punched Askel in the face as hard as he could, causing blood to spray over Björn's cheeks. The blond teenager ran over to his horse, pulling his axe out. Askel stared at him, wide eyed while clutching his nose.

"Are you going to kill me?" Askel asked, smirking under his hands.

"When I am done with you, you are going to wish I killed you." Björn growled. He kicked the man in the chest, pressing him into the dirt with his foot.

"She is dead!" He shouted at Björn, grinning with red teeth. "Right now, she is choking on her own blood, wishing she could have just said yes to me-"

Björn punched him again. He held Askel's hand down, stepping on his arm. Askel cackled. "I cannot trust you if I tell you to never touch her again." He gripped his axe. "So I will have to take matters into my own hands. Try not to scream." He slammed the axe down into the brunet's hand, causing Askel to let out a blood-curdling yell. Björn slammed down again, blood spraying as he separated the base of the hand from his finger. "You will not be able to touch her again if you do not have any fingers - though, I may have to take your hand, too."

Askel groaned in pain, staring up at the teenager. He screamed once more when Björn moved to the next finger.

It was dark when Bálburunn woke up. Her eyes were heavy, and she struggled to keep them open. She slowly looked around the room, spotting a sleeping Floki and a mop of blonde curls leaning on the bed. Floki's hand was holding the redhead's fingers, even in his unconscious state. She heard a sigh from the other side of her. She turned to see Ragnar, smiling with tired eyes. She tried to speak, but all that came out was a hoarse wheeze.

"Stay still, child. The gods have saved you, but it will take time to recover. You must eat. I will be back." He stared over at Helga before getting up to leave the room. Floki's eyes fluttered open at Ragnar's footsteps. He paused a moment before jumping to his feet, staring at the redhead.

"My child!" He squeaked, grabbing her face. "Oh, praise the gods!" He kissed her forehead, then cheeks, then forehead again, over and over. She wanted to laugh, but her voice just rasped instead. Helga raised her head groggily, before widening her eyes.

"Oh, Bálburunn!" She gushed, grabbing onto the girl's hands. Floki tried to hug the redhead, but she hissed in pain when he put pressure on her neck. "Be careful with her, Floki." Helga said, grabbing his arm to sit him down.

"Oh, my child, it has been almost a month - a month of little sleep, waiting to see if you would wake up."

"I told you I wouldn't leave you again-" Bálburunn managed to wheeze out before flinching at the pain in her throat.

"Be still, Bál. You've only just started healing." Helga whispered gently. Ragnar entered the room with a bowl of stew, looking straight at Helga before walking over to the redhead. Floki and Helga propped Bálburunn up so she could sip at it. It hurt to swallow, but she knew she needed to eat. Aslaug rushed in with a jug of water, placing it by the end table. She eyed the redhead while Ragnar attempted to feed her.

"Must you feed her, my husband? Is Floki not capable?"

Ragnar sighed, placing the bowl onto the end table. He winked at the redhead before escorting his wife out of the room.