ix

ix. Slow Acceptance

Bjorn placed his arm around the shoulders of the golden-haired maiden, laughing his head off at her witty comments. 

A few days had passed since Kari had last spoken to Harald and Halfdan. Luckily, a group of women found her interesting enough and had allowed her to sleep in their tent, probably having heard of the place she had by King Harald's side.

Not much of a place if he had called her a fool. He could rot in a ditch somewhere for all she cared.  She would push him there herself if she could find the time to look for a suitable ditch. 

Bjorn had also kept her company, especially when he had the day to himself. He spoke to her about his mother and the mother of his children. Kari had smiled at the thought of perhaps one day meeting her brother's children. Her niece and nephew.

"Oh Kari, you must join me and my brothers tonight. We will be drinking and feasting, to honor the gods so that we may have a victory tomorrow against King Ecbert." Bjorn invited, looking down at the woman with a smile.

Kari stared up at her big brother, though he did not know it yet. She was quite giddy at the thought that perhaps she will be able to meet the rest of her half-brothers.

But she did not show her excitement as much, as Bjorn still did not know. It would be odd to be too happy about meeting strangers. "Celebrating already? Shouldn't you do that afterward? It might be considered bad luck to be happy about something that hasn't happened yet."

"Perhaps. But there is nothing wrong with dying on the battlefield." He answered. "It is a great honor to be welcomed into Valhalla as a great warrior."

She nodded at that, before grinning. "Very well. I shall join you, at least to drink to the victory I am sure you will achieve tomorrow."

He laughed, rubbing her shoulder roughly. "Good. I cannot wait to introduce you to everyone."

"Kari?" A voice called out from behind them. 

They both turned to see Harald looking at the two of them, anger in his blue eyes. 

"King Harald! What a surprise!" Bjorn marveled, tightening his hold. "Have you mobilized your men for tomorrow?"

Harald clenched his jaw, nodding. "Yes, I have. Now, may I have Kari back?"

Bjorn looked to Kari, who shook her head subtly, a glare on her face, so he merely replied. "I don't believe Kari wants to go with you and as you said, she is her own."

Harald reached out a hand. "Come on, Kari. Time to go."

"Oh, is it really?" Kari spoke up, looking at his extended hand and crossing her arms. 

Harald glared at her, or more specifically, glared at the arm Bjorn had around her before sighing and looking at her with such remorseful eyes. "Please."