xxxvii

xxxvii. Bitter Defeat

Harald cursed himself for the hundredth time. If he had just been given time to think, he would never even have fathomed the idea of saying those words to her. 

Looking back now that he had rested his mind and calmed his thoughts, he realized that there were other ways that conversation could have gone down. Better ways it could have been handled. 

His eyes returned to the opening of the tent, hoping to see Kari walk through them. She hadn't returned since she left that night and even if tensions had been high between them, he was hoping that she would return to at least sleep. 

They had a big day ahead of them and losing rest could mean losing concentration especially when they needed it. Gods, he always did this. Unsurprisingly, it was him and his temper that got them into this mess. 

Seeing Halfdan on the other side had not eased his mind in any way. It only made him angry to lose something to the family he despised. With Kari as the only exception. 

He knew that she hated being referenced as Ragnar's daughter, hated being known only for being the daughter of the famous man. She wanted to be herself and no other. He knew that better than anyone and he still threw that in her face. 

Thor should strike him down right at this moment for his foolishness. Actually, Kari should do it. He wanted her to return, even angry. He could deal with her anger. What he could not deal with was her animosity. 

Almost as if the gods heard his prayer, Kari entered the tent silently. She didn't even glance his way as she began gathering pieces of her armor, slipping on the leather and metal pieces. 

Harald moved to approach her, already dressed in his own armor. "Trouble, last night I didn't-" 

"I don't think now is the time to speak of last night. We need to put it behind us and focus on today." Kari answered, tightening the leather strap around her waist. 

"I know." He sighed, handing her the sword he was already holding. "You and I, we're in this together. Know that. I am imperfect and rash and reckless but know that you have me. Even when we're arguing." 

She exhaled, turning around to face him, her azure eyes glistening with emotion. "And you of all people know that you can trust me. I am on your side. No one else's." 

He admitted, giving in to what he had been wanting to do ever since she entered the tent. He pulled her into an embrace, breathing in her scent. "I hate fighting with you." 

She buried her head in the crook of his neck, being honest enough to admit that she needed him. "I hate it too. But we will talk after the battle." 

He agreed, pressing his lips to her golden hair before pulling away. "After the battle." 

Their eyes met and for a second, all they wanted was to forget all that they had done here, go back to Vestfold where things made sense, and return to the peaceful life they created for themselves after they got married.