xxiii

xxiii. Cruel Intentions

Kari did not know what to do. 

It would come as a surprise but this was to be the first time in months where she was in an actual bed. After sleeping inside makeshift beds in tents, boats, and prisons, it was almost uncomfortable for her to sleep in a real bed.

Not that she could. After being in the hall, being cheered on by Harald's people as she sat on the throne beside him, her mind began to whir uncontrollably. Every word he said ran through her thoughts, making her doubt. 

Surely, he wouldn't. Yet she could not help the underlying feeling settling at the pit of her stomach at what he said. What his people believed. She wasn't stupid, she knew better but it was Harald. 

By gods, she trusted him. She could even go so far as to say that she cared for him. A knock sounded upon the door and without waiting for a response, women entered her room carrying various things. 

They carried a chest of different golden trinkets, jewelry, and beautiful gowns made of silks that she never had dreamed she could ever wear. She wanted to be grateful and happy to see such gifts but it had been instilled in her that people normally gave her things if they wanted something in return. 

Knowing that her window of opportunity was closing, she stopped one of the women from leaving. It was the same woman who had brought her from the great hall to her current room.  "Wait, I need to ask you something."

"I'm afraid I do not know anything, my lady." The woman looked down, almost afraid to meet her eyes. The woman was older than her yet she seemed to be one of the servants who worked in this household. 

"It is just a few questions. I am sure you could grant me that, erm, what is your name?" Kari asked, hoping that the woman would not just leave her with even more questions. 

"Revna, my lady." The woman answered curtly, before nodding slowly. "I will try to answer what I can but I do not know much." 

Kari pointed at the trinkets and gowns, questioning. "What are all these for?"

Revna responded, looking towards the items with admiration. "There is to be a feast to welcome you to Tamdrup." 

Narrowing her eyes, Kari squinted suspiciously. "Surely I only need one gown. What are all these gold for?" 

Revna said, patting her arm comfortingly as an older woman does. "Gifts from King Harald. I must say that you are very lucky to have such a man vying for your hand." 

"My hand?! For marriage?" Kari's eyes bugged out in surprise, almost choking on air after what she heard. 

"Yes? I thought that he was courting you. It would make sense that he would want the daughter of Ragnar to be his queen." Revna thought aloud, her head bobbing up and down as she thought about it.