xxxi

xxxi. Allegiance

"What are you planning, Trouble?" 

Harald looked over at Kari, fondly watching as she tied one of the ropes to the mast of the ship they were readying for their voyage to Kattegat. 

The waters were calm that day. The sun was not too hot, its rays merely reflecting in the soft lapping of the waves like molten gold. The people of Tamdrup were peacefully seeing to their goods, a peaceful sort of emotion coming over everyone. 

They had not felt this way since Ivar the Boneless arrived and everyone was grateful for the respite. Although Vikings loved the adventure, one cannot deny the simple pleasures of life like the cool breeze and the warm sun, accompanied by laughter and light feeling instead of lingering trouble. 

Even now, after endless days of preparation and planning as well as some sidelined scheming, Harald and Kari are able to spend the day together. For the past few days, they have both been so busy with weapons, battle strategies, and ships. They only saw each other at night, siphoning pleasure from one another's touch. 

It was only today that they are able to spend time together truly while the sun still reigned in the skies. He must admit that he missed her, missed them like this. After they had gotten married, it had been the most bliss he had ever experienced.

"Well, I was planning on finishing off this ship and then moving on to the next one." She thoughtfully said, checking the strength of the ropes she had done. 

He struggled to contain the groan that threatened to escape him. "Not about the ships, Kari. I meant with your brothers and the bishop." 

"Oh." She scrunched her nose at the reminder. She had been hoping to go the rest of the day without having to think about that. 

If Kattegat and Norway did not mean so much to Harald, she would have been perfectly content kicking Ivar and his men off Tamdrup. Hvitserk would be the exception. 

Alas, she was exhausted with her own schemes and machinations. Having to speak to Heahmund every day and help around with her people was taking a toll on her. Not that she would tell Harald. He had enough on his plate. 

She couldn't put all the blame on him though. She had chosen this life when she chose to marry him. Being married to him was to take on the life of a queen, a queen who was ready to do whatever it takes for her people and her king. 

"Oh? Is that all you have to say?" He remarked, stopping in his task to sit on one of the empty barrels. 

"What do you want me to say, Harald?" She sighed, leaning against the mast

"What you're doing with Heahmund for one." He glared, hearing the rumors of all their deep conversations. He had fully trusted her, of course, but he didn't trust that man with her. 

She returned his dissipated look, her lips forming a frown. "Are you serious right now? I already told you that everything I'm doing with Heahmund is for us, so we can overpower Ivar."