xxxiii

xxxiii. Regretful Reunion

It was cold. Too cold. 

Winds swept against the empty field harshly, flags of blue and yellow threatening to pull away from the stoic faces holding them. It was difficult to hear a single word. Not because there was pained silence but because the chaotic winds were all anyone could hear. 

No one dared to move. Not even to breathe differently. No one shivered from the cold temperature nor did anyone try to do anything. They merely looked ahead, across the battlegrounds they had chosen for war, and hoped that they could emerge victoriously. 

Across the plains were their rival, the enemy. But for some, they only saw family. Brothers, sisters, vikings alike. It was comical, how they would be fighting against people they knew, people they cared for. However, that was the path that they were on and none dared to disobey the treacherous twists of fate. 

Suddenly, a shift in the wind. All eyes turned to look at the two figures that separated from the large army. Two people that Kari herself was familiar with. 

Halfdan and Bjorn. It seems that they wish to come to an accord, to speak first before anything or anyone else happened. 

Kari looked to Ivar and they nodded, looking to Harald and Hvitserk. In turn, the two men prepared to advance forward to meet the two already in the middle of the battlefield. 

Pressing a hand to her chest, Kari looked at Harald and silently asked him to be safe and to be careful. Halfdan may be his brother but there was no telling what could happen. This entire thing proved that. 

Harald smiled gratefully, pressing his own hand over his heart before moving his horse into motion. The sound of hooves on soft soil permeated the air and for a mere second, that was all people heard. Not the winds that raged around them but the careful steps that would decide their fate.

The horses nickered, an almost taunting sound as all remained serious in face of what could become an all-out war. 

Harald came face to face with Halfdan as Hvitserk came to stand before Bjorn. Brothers facing one another on opposite sides. 

Bjorn spoke first, breaking the silence. "If we must fight, then we must fight. But first, let us discuss the alternatives, in good faith." 

Harald inclined his head in agreement. "We are willing to do that. But first, we must exchange hostages. Good faith, although commendable, it's not really enough."

Bjorn nodded before gesturing to Halfdan at his side. "Your brother will go with you to your camp." 

"And your brother will go to yours." Harald responded, an easygoing expression on his face as Hvitserk moved toward Bjorn and Halfdan towards him. "We meet again tomorrow. Yes?"

"Yes." Bjorn agreed, turning his horse away to return to his army. 

Harald did the same, returning to his army with his brother by his side. Though he tried to meet Halfdan's eyes, the other man seemed committed not to look at him, almost as though he were ashamed.