xlvii

xlvii. Life's Wonders

Kari slumbered on peacefully in her bed. 

She had long since gotten used to sleeping on her own. It was a good thing, an advantageous thing even, especially in her state now. 

The servants had been very accommodating, with others coming to visit her to give advice as to how to ease her discomforts. She was grateful to them as she had been irritable as of late, going so far as to snap quickly at those who came to deliver their grievances. 

They had understood when she wished to be alone. They had understood when she refused to leave her chambers in the morning. They had understood when she would tear up in the middle of conversations, shedding tears for a man she knew did not deserve it. 

It was of the hour when the moon was highest in the sky. Everyone slept peacefully in their own beds, exhausted from the events of the day prior. That was, everyone but Kari as she felt a sharp pain twinge in her abdomen. 

Wincing, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she pushed herself up from her bed. She pressed a hand to her belly, running her hand over the spot comfortingly, hoping that the pain would reduce so that she can return to her slumber. 

Unfortunately, it returned even more painful than the first. It came in slow progression. The bouts of pain crashing like waves upon a shore. Kari thought to give it some time before she could go to sleep once more. 

She was proven wrong as the pain only seemed to increase as she calmed her breathing. Deciding to stand from the bed to walk around eased the pain a little so she continued to do so. 

All of a sudden, she felt wetness gush down her legs. Her eyes widened as she realized what was happening. She lifted her dress to see a puddle of water on the floor, her mind waking up instantly as she called for help. 

A servant rushed into the room to find out what was happening, only to gasp when she saw that the other woman was going into labor. "I-I will call the healer, Queen Kari!"

"Yes, please hurry!" Kari answered, calming herself down and forcing a smile so as not to rattle the already nervous servant. 

She let out shaky breaths as she returned to the bed, her own nerves overwhelming her. She never thought that she would ever have to go through childbirth alone and yet there she was. 

There have been countless stories about complications in childbirth, the loss of the mother, the loss of the child, or even both. Those stories returned to her then, her heart rate spiking as she began to consider the terrifying possibilities. 

Before she could dwell on them, the healer came running into the chambers with a few women with her. The women who had spoken to her these past few days, offered her comfort and kind words.

"We are here, Kari. Not to fear." One of them assured her, taking a place by her side and holding onto one of her hands. 

With tears in her eyes, Kari squeezed her hand, looking at everyone else in the room. "Thank you. You have no idea how grateful I am."