xxxix

xxxix

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

xxxix. Sworn and Obeyed

Kari picked up her skirts and ran as fast as her feet could carry her. 

Behind her, she could hear heavy footfalls, spurring her to move even faster as her heart pumped relentlessly inside her chest. She could hear the person behind her begin to gain an advantage over her. 

Chancing a look behind her, she saw how near he was. Quickly, she picked up a twig from the ground and threw it as hard as possible. Satisfied to hear a pained grunt, she continued running only to have strong arms wrap around her waist. 

Yelping, she tried to elbow her captor yet he was too quick, his hand reaching out to subdue any of her movements before she could cause any further damage. 

"Did you have to do all that, Trouble?" Harald groaned, not letting up even as she squirmed in his hold. 

Kari suppressed a smile, looking over at him. "Of course I did. I've got to keep you on your toes somehow." 

It had been a few days since Hvitserk embarked on his journey to Normandy, a few days since they had spoken, and a few days since she had told him the secret that had been eating at her. 

In the time span that he was gone, the soldiers and the people of Vestfold had slowly but surely recovered. The dead warriors were given a proper send-off, their burials being worthy of such a glorious welcome to Valhalla. The injured had been able to heal in the presence of their loved ones. Their ships were repaired and their weapons replenished. 

Even Kari's morning sickness had lessened. Things were not as perfect as before but they were not as bleak as they previously were. The people had begun to smile again and laughter did not seem like a crime, instead, it was welcomed, especially by those who were injured. 

When bells rang to signal the arrival of ships, Kari and Harald looked at each other, and without a single word passing between them, they raced to the highest point in Tamdrup. 

"Believe me, you always do. I can't seem to catch my breath with you around." Harald shook his head, kissing her slowly. 

Smiling into the kiss, she turned in his arms, placing both of her hands on his nape to kiss him even more intently. He tasted briefly of ale and smoke, things that she had already associated with him. 

His hands tightened around her waist with no sign of letting go. They could have stayed like that for longer however an irritated voice cut through their haze, making the two of them immediately glare at said person. 

"Seriously? Can you two keep your hands off each other for just a moment?" Ivar complained, already at the highest point and looking at them critically. 

"Can you just keep your eyes shut?" Kari retorted, crossing her arms over her chest as they began to trek over to where her brother was. 

"Very funny. You're lucky Hvitserk has returned or I would have locked the two of you up somewhere dark and dreary. Especially you, dear sister." Ivar rolled his eyes when they reached him.

Utterly Barbaric || Harald Finehairजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें