xliii

xliii. After the Storm

Amidst the darkness, Kari heard a voice. 

Just as she had started to accept the darkness and the loneliness that came with it, a spark of sound burst through the nothingness. At first, it was unclear. Her head was pounding and she felt groggy but the voice was there. 

Second after second, she could suddenly feel a surge of energy thrum through her veins like ice and fire combining. It was cold and warm at the same time, the clash confusing her immensely. It was too much but also not enough. 

The voice seemed to bring her back to life slowly as she felt air rush into her lungs and her heart liven up within her chest. She could the cool wind that blew into the room. She could feel the warmth from the sunlight coming from the window. She could feel her golden strands tickling her neck. She could feel her fingers brush through soft linens.

After being in the darkness with nothing for so long, everything that came crashing in felt overwhelming to the girl. For barely a moment, she did not even wish to open her eyes. Her other senses were already too much, adding in sight might make it worse and she was afraid of what she might see, the future she would be waking up to. 

She did not know how much time had passed. She did not know who they had lost, who she had lost. She did not even know if they won or not though she supposed that the fact that she was lying on such a soft bed would be a good thing. 

Kari was just about convinced to succumb back into the darkness when she heard the voice again, much louder and much more powerful. The words that were being spoken sounded so familiar. 

"Trouble, I don't know if you can even hear me but I need you to wake up. Please." The voice of the man she loved more than anything filled her ears. 

She could feel him, his body being close to her. His warmth radiated like a furnace as his hand came to encompass her own. His large hand dwarfed hers as if seeking to protect her from anything that might harm her even now. 

"Remember when I told you that it would be a great honor to die in battle, to join our fellow Vikings in Valhalla? I want you to forget that. Don't go. It's not yet time for you." Harald continued, pressing his lips to the back of her hand. "I am still holding on to you. Please. Don't let go of me."

He closed his eyes, leaning his forehead against their clasped hands. He breathed out shakily, his breaths coming out in unstable intervals. Every inhale and exhale felt like a struggle he was steadily losing. 

"Never." 

Harald's head snapped up at hearing the soft word. His eyes widened upon seeing Kari's eyes blink open slowly, a smile already on her face as she continued to stare up at him in wonder and confusion. 

With his hand still holding hers, he used his other hand to rub his eyes. He did not know if this was a cruel dream that came upon him though if it was, he would never wish to wake up.