xxv

xxv. Fleeting Moments

Kari needed to get away from here. 

Her wrist still burned furiously from his touch, a reminder of just how much he affected her. That was the only thought running through her head as she pulled out a small leather satchel from within her mattress. 

She had snagged it from one of the servants. It was a mere woolen cloth fastened closed with a string. It was small but it would have to do if she was to leave. 

The idea of leaving had been an idea that came to her one of these nights. She thought she would not have to entertain it once again but today had been awful enough for her to consider it.

And she had to. She could not stay here. 

Of course, the people were kind and welcoming. She certainly didn't feel as if she was being ogled at by all the residents, instead, she truly felt as if she could live and thrive here. 

She could spend her days walking through the dock, to the sound of greetings and laughter. She could certainly lend her skills and help in any way that she can. She could smile and laugh without a care in the world. 

She could be happy.  Finally. 

Yet there was only one issue remaining. Kari could not stay here while the people's favored king was here to stay as well. King Harald Finehair. 

Avoiding him had worked well enough for the past few days but seeing him, his hand reaching out for her, reminded her that she needed to be somewhere where no one knew who her father was to get a semblance of the life that she wanted to live. 

If anything, it was dangerous to stay here. Every moment that she stayed in Harald's presence, she could feel a part of her wall breaking down. He alone had the ability to render her completely defenseless. 

She had even spoken of her mother. The mother she could not bear to mention lest she would reveal much of her fears. 

That was enough for her to reach her breaking point. 

As she pulled the wooden chest and crammed the jewels from it into her satchel, she found herself pausing. Her hands fumbled and shook before she gave up, sinking onto the floor. 

The thing was, she didn't want to leave. For years, she had been running and she was tired. She didn't want to run anymore. Not when she had found the place she had wanted to be. The place that made her happy. 

The place being ruled by the man she loved. 

At the thought that crossed her mind, Kari's eyes widened. Fuck, this could not be happening to her. 

No, she could not be in love with him. He was reckless, hasty, and petty. He was a fool at times, but he means well. He was violent and vicious, but he was also kind, devoted, and passionate.