xxx

xxx. Alliance

"To the overthrow of the witch, Lagertha!"

Hvitserk exclaimed, raising the cup of ale high in the sky before placing his arm around his sister, equally as loud. 

"And to the liberation of Kattegat!" Kari continued before they both downed their drinks as cheers sounded from all around them. 

The two laughed, both of them looking tipsy from all the ale they had drunk. They had entered the great hall first before anyone else had and with them being alone with nothing to speak of, they began drinking. 

At first, they merely sat at a table and poured each other a drink. A drink that became two, then soon became five. Their conversation drifted from introductions until they were both exchanging stories of their lives and adventures. 

In no time, the two acted like such close friends that even Harald and Ivar looked confused with such a situation. It was no matter though as Kari and Hvitserk did not care what either man thought. They could all have their own intentions and plans but the siblings who had spent time together would not let such a thing affect them. 

Even now, the two embraced tightly as laughter reigned from all around them. Kari pulled away, ruffling her brother's hair fondly before taking back the gold circlet that he had taken from her a while ago. 

"Aww, Kari. I thought you had given that to me as a gift." Hvitserk pouted as the girl placed the gold circlet back unto her head. 

"I never did such a thing. Besides, this is mine. Get your own." Kari retorted, sticking her tongue out playfully. 

"Fine. But you owe me." He frowned, looking longingly at the circlet she had taken back from his head. 

"I'll get you a crown of spring blossoms instead." She patted his arm comfortingly as if he were a child. 

"You better." He continued to sulk, drinking even more ale to alleviate his sadness. Never mind that his brother was staring at him as though he had grown a second head with his closeness to their sister. 

Harald and Ivar had watched the exchange with confused expressions. It was the most surreal and absurd conversation they had witnessed in so long. In no time, as the feast began to calm, Kari and Hvitserk returned to their seats looking much more composed. 

Harald pulled her chair closer to his, taking the cup of ale from her hand and replacing it with a cup of water. Kari smiled at him gratefully, pressing a kiss to his cheek as he piled some food unto her plate. 

"So, when do we attack?" Ivar interjected, looking between the two to bring up the business of their alliance. 

It took everything in Kari not to show her irritation toward the man who wanted to interrupt such a joyful feast with talks of plans that would benefit him more than it would them. If there was someone to dictate plans, it was them.