3. Establishing grounds

Austin Silver POV

Pulling up my pants I move away from the desk. Laura the secretary, her legs shake as she begins to pull up her tights and skirt, I watch her bored as I light up a cigarette from my pocket.

I sit on the windowsill and stare at nothing in particular, same old shit, birds, cars, clouds. Nothing ever changes, fucking Laura has to be the only thing that almost makes me feel human in here.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "Satisfied? Now give what I asked for." I say hard, opening my eyes to stare at the woman nodding her head, going behind her desk.

She grabs a file and comes over to me and hands it to me, taking it off her hands I skim the words on the front. 

'Rose Clark'

Opening the file the first thing I see is that she's young, surprisingly young. 

Her photo alone doesn't do her justice though, she looks like she's had to grow up fast, living on the streets can do that to a kid, men or women, it's either survives or die out there, this Rose Clark knows it best due to these records.

"Is this everything?" I ask, staring down at Laura.

She nods her head and gets a cigarette from my pocket, she puts it between her lips and leans forward towards me, I take my cigarette out of my mouth and light hers up with mine.

"That's all, why the sudden interest in a nobody?" She says hinting towards the girl in the photo.

Good question. The fucking number I got, I must've definitely put the wrong number in, that fucking pencil must have smudged and I whatever number I typed it, went straight to little miss Rose. 

Ever since, I've been curious, simply curious and nothing more to who she was, I'm getting beyond bored in this prison, being the boss in here has it's perks but I'm still a prisoner, nothing about that is changing anytime soon.

"None of your fucking business." I say deadly, as I glare at her. "The money will be in your account tonight, now fuck off." I say annoyed, not looking at her but at the photo of the young woman, I hear the door close, leaving me alone in the room going through the file.

Rose Clark hmm, let's see who you are.

It says here she's Twenty, has no living relatives other than her little brother Max who is 7. She grew up in the system until she was 18, she has full custody of her little brother, after that there is a time skip, a few part-time jobs, nothing too serious until a few months ago, meaning she was on the streets for a few years until she landed a job at a diner.

She was let go last week due to cutbacks, meaning her source of income is practically pennies at this point in time, unless she had somehow gotten a new job so soon in this shithole of a city.

But the main thing that intrigues me is how careless she is, there's no doubt she's an attractive young woman, striking, beautiful, smart, and caring, she puts others before her, especially her brother, which I assume why she is doing all of this.

Hmm. Well. I'll admit, I'm interested in this girl, and I feel somewhat bad for her, I know exactly what she is going through.

My parents were gone all my life, my old man was murdered and my bitch of a mom passed from drugs, I spent my whole life in the streets until I made a name for myself, it's tough alone, and this young woman did it with while looking out for her younger brother, it's admirable.

I put out my cigarette on the wall and flick it on Laura's desk, after I put the file in the shredder, watching as the picture of Rose is shredded into pieces, an unknown feeling washes over me and I feel.. excited, for unknown reasons, I want to know more about her.