Part 1.11

OPS CENTRE

Clary runs out of her room, trying to find Liz. She sees her doing some paperwork in the ops centre. "Elly" she calls for her and tells her what happened in her room. Liz holds up the necklace Clary got from her mom.

"And he spoke to you?"

Clary nods. "He said my name. He said, 'Your mother for the Cup'."

Alec stands in the doorway. "Who said that?"

The girls turn around and say together. "Valentine."

"He's with my mother."

"And he can speak to you through that necklace? Here, in the Institute?" Alec raises his brow.

"It's like when I saw Dot."

Liz examines the necklace. "It's a Portal shard. That's why your mother made sure you had it."

"All I know is what I saw... My mother's alive. She's unconscious, but alive."

"Where are they?" Alec asks.

"I don't know."

"But you said you saw them. Were there any identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?" He snaps.

"I don't remember. It was awful." Clary grimaces.

"Al, lighten up." Liz pats his arm.

"I'm trying to get something we can use out of this." He turns to Clary "Clary, what did you see, exactly?"

"Valentine has my mother! That's what I saw."

"Emotions are nothing but a distraction. You're ruled by them. We're taught to control them."

"And how is that working out for ya?" she smirks slyly.

"It is my job to protect the Institute. If Valentine can see in, that's a door I have to shut. Now... let me take a look at that thing."

Liz hands the necklace to Alec.

"Now, it's in the proper hands." Alec walks away.

"Hey! Alec! Where are you going?" Clary walks after him.

"Wha– Alexander! Not fair!" Liz shouts after him.

They walk out of  room.

"I'm going to put this somewhere safe. Where no one could be tempted to use it."

"We should use it. Al, we should use it to get to Valentine." Liz says.

"If I were Valentine, I'd make sure you think that you could rescue Jocelyn. And then I'd lure Clary to me and leverage her life for the Cup."

The reach the training room. Alec activates a rune on the floor and a hiding space opens up.

Clary speaks up again. "I like Liz's idea. We saved Simon from the vampires that way."