Part 1.16

MAGNUS' APARTMENT

Clary comes to Magnus, who is in the living room. "I know where the Cup is. I need to tell Lizzy." She calls Liz.

"Hey Clary! You okay? wassup?"

"I'm okay. Listen can you come back to Magnus' place?"

"Yeah I'll be there in fifteen." Liz hangs up.

Liz runs to Magnus' place and enters the living room. "I'm here!" She breathes harshly, hands on her knees.

"Elly, I know where the cup is" Clary tells her.

"Come again?" Liz asks, still panting.

"The tarot cards. My mom, she must have painted them years ago, but the Mortal Cup has to be hidden inside the Ace of Cups. The card looks exactly like it."

Liz and Magnus look at each other.

"Wait, why aren't you guys happy about this? All we have to do is find... Dot." She realises.

"If Dot had the cards when she was taken, we don't have much time. If Valentine gets his hands on the Cup—" Liz starts to say as Magnus interrupts her.

"We know. If Valentine started creating Shadowhunters or gained control of demons, it'd be like Beyoncé riding on a dinosaur through Times Square. People would notice."

"But he can control demons. I've seen it." Clary reasons.

"Mmm, paying off a few demons is easy, especially since they rarely survive long enough to collect."

"Still waiting on Valentine's thank-you card." Liz rolls her eyes.

"Opening the gates of hell, that's a little more tricky."

Luke enters. "Valentine doesn't have the cards. I do. They're in my desk back at the precinct. When Clary went missing, I went to the loft and I cleared everything out, 'cause I didn't want the Circle to track her."

"That's great. This should be easy." Clary exclaims.

"Mmm, that's what General Custer said." Magnus chuckles.

"Magnus is right. Valentine has spies everywhere, even in the NYPD. We have to be discreet."

"Discreet? You look like something out of The Mummy movie." Liz smirks at him. Magnus laughs.

"We'll go in the morning. Werewolf healing, remember? This is nothing a couple of hours of beauty sleep can't fix."

"Alright then, we'll meet you in the morning." Liz says and leaves with Clary for the institute.

They walk towards the institute in a comfortable silence. Clary breaks it by saying, "Jasper had a twin. I had another brother."

"What do you mean 'had'? Did Valentine do it?" Liz raises her eyebrows, fists clenched.

Clary nods sadly. "The 'JC' box belonged to him."

Liz stops and looks at Clary. "I'm sorry Clary." She pulls the smaller girl for a hug, one hand around her waist, the other cradling her head on her chest.

"I'm okay" Clary wipes her eyes and they continue walking towards the institute.

Liz slips her hand into Clary's as they walk. 'How is she so chill right now!?!'  Clary internally screams. But what she doesn't know is that Liz's heart is beating faster than ever, her stomach in knots. It was always like that with Liz whenever Clary was around.

THE INSTITUTE

Clary and Liz reach the institute and go to their respective rooms. Clary decides to talk to her brother and goes to find him. She searches for him in his room but he isn't there. While going back to her room, she spots him in the training room. He and Jace are napping on the sofa, tangled in each other's embrace. She smiles to herself and takes out her phone to click a picture of the adorable sight in front of her. Jasper stirs in his sleep by the sound of the camera shutter, and wakes up.