Part 1.10

LEWIS RESIDENCE

Simon goes into his bedroom. He closes the blinds because the sunlight is too bright. He lays down on the bed. There is a knock on his door. When he opens it he's surprised to see that it's Maureen.

"Simon, thank God you're here."

"Oh, hey."

"Where were you?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's wrong?"

"We were supposed to have rehearsal last night and you never showed, and I was calling and texting and you didn't answer. And then your mom said you were going out, so I didn't know what I..."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Maureen. I just, uh... I got caught up with school stuff."

"Yeah, no, that's... that's cool. I totally get it. You're swamped. Um—"

Simon grows unnaturally impatient. "Just say it."

Maureen stammers."I–uh– I had this all rehearsed—"

Just then Elaine Lewis, Simon's mother comes into his room."Simon? Oh, good, you're home. Hi, Maureen."

"Hey, ma."

"Look, honey... I don't want to be one of those mothers, you know, and I know that you're a man now and everything..."

"Oh, God, this is not happening." He groans.

"But if you are going to stay out all night long, I expect at least a phone call."

"Ma, I'm 18!"

"So you're supposed to know better. I don't know what you and Clary were doing all night, but I do know that between the two of you at least one of you has got to have a phone."

"Okay... okay!"

"All right, so use it. I was worried sick."

"I'm sorry."

"All right. Well, let's get a hustle on. The crockpot's been going all day, so dinner's almost ready. You are welcome to join us Maureen."

Maureen smiles politely. "Thank you."

"If you like. Right."Elaine walks out of the bedroom.

"So, wait, you were with Clary all night?" Maureen turns to Simon.

"Maureen, I'm sorry."

MAUREEN:" Because you just said you were swamped with work. And if you guys are dating, then just say so."

"No, no, no, we're... We're... We're not... we're not dating."

"Oh, you're not?" she lets out a breath of relief.

"No." Simon nods his head vigourosly.

"Well, good, then... because I'd like to."

"You'd like to what?" he furrows his brows.