Part 1.7

THE INSTITUTE
3rd Person POV

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans Clary." Liz walks around the ops centre and sits on the table in the centre of the room.

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec replies, annoyed by the way Clary is blaming others.

"Alec, not now." the older Lightwood girl warns.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it." Jace stands near the table, leaning against it.

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". What am I supposed to do now?" Clary walks around the room in circles.

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec looks at everyone. "They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup." Liz leans forward towards Clary.

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec says.

"Plus, it controls demons." Izzy adds the new information.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace tells Clary.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

"So, this doesn't matter to you?" Alec grits his teeth

"Yes, of course, it matters! Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true. She was raised as a mundane."

"What are you Lizzy, her spokesman now?"

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan."

[HOTEL DUMORT]

Simon is locked in a room. He looks through the glass and pounds on the door.

"Hello! Anyone? I'm just an accounting student. I have no value to anyone. And I barely saw your faces, so if you let me go, I couldn't even identify you. Not that I would, 'cause you guys are vampires! Who would believe me? I didn't even know you guys existed until yesterday! Is anyone there?"

Raphael appears on the other side of the door. Simon falls back on his bottom on the floor. Raphael walks in the room.

"If your goal was to scare the crap out of me, mission accomplished!" Simon desperately says.